Pear Study

Saturday, March 16, 2013

I love all the beautiful work that so many people are able to produce with colored pencils, but I have a hard time with them. So, when I was away for my girls' stamping weekend, I spent time practicing with my Prismacolor pencils. The pear image on this card is one of the images I worked on, and it was perfect for this week's Color Throwdown (CTD233) palette. 


The card design is from a sketch at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog. The challenge this week is to choose one of two sketches for your card. I'm a huge fan of tilted panels, so deciding which sketch to use was easy for me. And, since my favorite technique is distressing or any kind, I was more than happy to make this card work for the Simon Says Stamp & Challenge: Chic to be Shabby, too.

I followed the sketch, without any changes, distressing the layers with ink, water, and a Distrezz-It-All. The background layer has a straight stitch around the perimeter and I pulled out the stitches on one corner and along a small part of the left side. The gingham strip has zigzag stitching just on the top and bottom. I matted the vintage advertisement layer and the two pieces are stapled together with mini staples. After all the layers were attached, I added pink Pearl Pen pearls randomly on the background dp, and green ones on the image panel.


I'm leaving the inside blank for a personal message.

Thanks for stopping by!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:
Flourishes Timeless Tuesday #211: Go Green! (FTTC211)
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: Choose a Sketch
Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge: Chic to be Shabby
Color Throwdown 233 (CTD233)

~Hugs,

 
Stamps: Classics #1 (Stampers Anonymous)
Paper: Follow Your Heart (My Mind's Eye); Vintage Marketplace (Bazzill Basics) 
Ink: Distress; Memento
Dies: Decorative Labels One, Labels One, Classic Squares Lg (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Prismacolor Pencils; Gamsol; Mini Staples; Pearl Pen; sewing thread
Size: 4.25" sq.
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

9 comments :

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card Cheryl :-) I love the image and all the distressing,,, absolutely FABULOUS ! :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Conniecrafter said...

You are doing a wonderful job with your coloring with pencils and such pretty paper combo too!

Sandra said...

Stunning card! So love the colors you've used! The stitching is a really wonderful touch. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Denise Marzec said...

Such a cool image and I love that scrappy layout with the distressed edges and cute papers.

ChristineCreations said...

What a beautiful card Cheryl! Awesome work with your pencils!

Sue Lelli said...

FAB inside and out! LOVE the pear study and how you used the colors! Very Clever!!!

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Cheryl, love the image you've used and your distressing looks fab.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs Mandy xx

maria f. said...

Wow. I love your color choices here and your coloring looks great. And super congrats on being published! Too cool that they saw your card and asked for it. That is such a compliment :)

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my, love the image, and your coloring is beautiful! Wonderful design with all the distressed layers. Perfect combination of everything!