Kitchen Sponge Flower & Altered Journal

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hi Friends! I hope you had a great week! Can you believe it's already spring? It had started getting nice and warm here last week, so I packed up my DD's winter clothes, and suddenly it's cold again! Brrrrr! I'm ready for some heat! :) Pining for warmer weather got me in the mood to create something bright and cheery--spring-like.



I saw today that Tim Holtz was having a Tattered Floral Challenge, and since I actually have that die, I decided to see what I could come up with. I wanted to try something different, so I got out a new kitchen sponge and ran it through my Big Shot with the Tattered Floral die. It came out squished flat, but after I colored it with Distress Inks I spritzed it with water which intensified the ink colors and made the flower/sponge expand. The burlap flowers were originally ivory. They were colored with Dylusions Ink Sprays. The entire flower is held together with a large jeweled brad.

I used the Viva la Verve March 2013 Week 4 Challenge sketch for my layout. The main sentiment is a Verve stamp, and the Artist and Voyage stamps are from Stamper's Anonymous. They are all embossed with brown ep.

I added some flourishes, which I adorned with Stickles, and a couple of clay embellishments, which I first sprayed with glossy paint.

Since Washi tape is translucent, and the spine was originally black, I sprayed the spine with white primer before I started adhering things to the book. After decorating the covers (I covered the back of the book with one of the dp's that I used on the front cover), I used several different Washi tapes to cover the spine.
Here's a look at the back.

That's all there was to it. I love how it turned out--especially my sponge flower. You'll be seeing sponges in another project again soon, I'm sure! ;)

Thanks for stopping by, and have a fantastic weekend!

I'm entering this in the following challenges:

Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Challenge
Viva la Verve March 2013 Week 4 Challenge (VLVMar2013)
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: Easter/Spring
Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge: Water
Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge #212: Bring On Spring (FTTC212)

~Hugs,

 
Stamps: Words of Wisdom (Verve); Classics #1 (Stamper's Anonymous); Vintage Traveler, Under Lock & Key (Our Craft Lounge)
Paper: Que Sera Sera (K&Co); Summer Song (My Mind's Eye); Glitter cs (Studio 18)
Ink: Distress Ink; Versamark; Dylusions Ink Spray
Dies: Tattered Florals, Elegant Flourishes (Tim Holtz/Sizzix)
Accessories: Edge punch (Recollections); Zing embossing powder; Corner Chomper; kitchen sponge; brad; Washi tape; rhinestones; sewing thread; Pearl Pen; Stickles; Liquid Pearls; burlap; clay embellishments; spray paint (for clay embellies); composition book
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

This is so creative!!! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week! - Ashli :)

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Wow! This is simply gorgeous!

Conniecrafter said...

very creative idea with the flower, love all the textures you have in the layering of the flower!!

Sue Lelli said...

This is just PHENOMENAL! LOVE the flower sponge and all of your other details! GORGEOUS! LOVE the clay pieces, too! FAB!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a gorgeous piece...gorgeous color, perfectly Spring! The water misted on this color was a great effect! Beautiful! Thanks for playing in our watered down challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

Joy said...

Gorgeous, love all the layers.. thanks for joining us at Simon Says Challenge blog

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh em gee, Cheryl...I am gobsmacked! Using a sponge? Completely out-of-the-box unexpected, and it turned out amazing! And all the other elements are perfectly placed & balanced. I love the colours & the amazing texture (and that washi spine? Cool idea!) Love it :D

Leslie Miller said...

Your artwork simply enthralls me! I love your style and I'm so glad to have become a frequent visitor. Sorry I'm being Last Minute Leslie catching up just before bedtime on a work night so I can't comment on each one, but know that I have admired and studied them all. I love your collection of sentiments. I'm a sentiment junkie. The colors and details you applied to this journal are fabulous!