Purple Snowdrops

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Okay, I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way: I know there is no such thing as a purple snowdrop. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one in real life, but I Googled it to see how to color the image, and I found out that they are always white. But, using my artistic license, I decided that today snowdrops can be purple. :)

I am enjoying coloring so much more since my Copic classes last weekend. One of the things I learned was that the paper you color on really does make a big difference in how well your finished image looks. I used Flourishes Classic White cs here, and it colored beautifully. After coloring this snowdrop stamp, also from Flourishes, I masked it and stamped the text over it, then sponged Distress Ink inside the die. I like having a little bit of sparkle, so I used Diamond Stickles in the corners. The bg is a dark olive colored cs which I dry embossed, sponged with Seedless Preserves Distress Ink, spritzed with yellow and lime green Dylusions Ink Spray, and painted the edges with white acrylic paint. The meandering stitching is done with dark purple thread. 

For the card design, I used the Viva la Verve April 2013 Week 2 sketch. It's a very simple sketch that calls for two small elements just to the right of a rectangle. I chose to use clay embellishments that I made awhile back. They were made with a bronze colored clay which didn't work for me here, so I colored them a deep purple with my Copic airbrush, added a few metallic gold highlights with a calligraphy pen, then sanded lightly to expose a little bit of the bronze color. Finally, I gave them a light coat of a clear spray sealant and hot glued them to the cs.
For the dark green layer on the inside of the card, I dry embossed, sponged with the dark purple Distress Ink, did simple, straight stitching, and let that be it. The lime green layer is a Romantic Rectangles die cut, and the personalization layer was cut with a craft knife, inside the same die, from white cardstock. I sponged Crushed Olive Distress Ink lightly over the cs, used Seedless Preserves ink along the edges and also for the sentiment. The snowdrops were stamped with a light lavender Memento ink.

That's it for me for a few days. I'll be heading to Savannah tomorrow for another stamping weekend with my friends, so I don't think I'll be posting anything else until Monday. In the meantime, thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic, crafty weekend! 

I'll be entering this in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp: April Showers and/or Spring Flowers
Viva la Verve! April 2013 Week 2 Sketch Challenge (VLVApr2013)

~Hugs,

 
Stamps: Botanical Bookplates Vol. 1, Sweet Nature (Flourishes); Signature Greetings II (Papertrey Ink)
Paper: Flourishes Classic White
Ink: Copics; Distress; Memento; Dylusions Ink Spray
Dies: A2 Matting Basics, Romantic Rectangles (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Abstract Flower edge punch (EK Success); Decorative Tile embossing folder (Cuttlebug); acrylic paint dauber (Adirondack); clay embellishments; Copic airbrush; clear sealant; Stickles; sewing thread
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

5 comments :

Alex said...

Your card look gorgeous!!!
Good luck to the challenge!

If you wish, come on my blog ... If you want, you can become a Member? Please! ... I'd be honored

Cheryl said...

So pretty Cheryl...I've always loved purples/greens together....it's just lovely!

Joy said...

Beautiful colouring..thanks for joining us at Simon Says Challenge blog

Stacy Morgan said...

I am the last one to say what color a flower should be. I think with paper and crayons so to speak you can color whatever you want. In saying that... this is beautiful. I like the stitching around teh edge and awesome coloring.

Leslie Miller said...

You made the embellishments? They're fabulous! This is such a richly colored, beautiful card. I love the deep green with the purple. I'm a firm believer in artistic license!