A Father's Direction

Sunday, April 21, 2013




I'm still coloring up a storm since my Copic classes, and haven't stopped to make too many cards, lately,. :) but I did finally use one of the images for a Father's Day card.
I used the Viva la Verve April 2013 Week 1 sketch, Color Throwdown #238 color palette, and Simon Says Stamp theme of "Travel," for this card. After coloring the image, I used a cloud stencil to create clouds, and some Copic Opaque White and a toothpick to create the ocean spray. The burlap started out as a creamy white, but I changed that with my Copic Air Brush System by spraying it yellow, then toned that down a little bit with brown. I like the aged look. I layered several die cuts, did some sewing, and lifted the image panel and mats with layers of crimped cs--all of this on a yellow card base.

For the brads, which were bright yellow brass, I colored them with a dark brown Copic marker, and randomly added a few spots of black. Since the dye won't absorb into metal, it was sticky afterward, so I just sprayed it with a light coat of clear sealant, which fixed it right up. :)
I didn't have much of the argyle dp left, but wanted to use it on the inside, too, so I cut thin strips and created a simple frame for the navy cs square. The sentiment layer die cut is the same design that is layered behind the black pinstripe layer on the front. I stamped the sentiments, glued the die cut to the navy cs, and added Distress Stickles around the perimeter. I don't use Distress Stickles very often, but they are perfect for a masculine or distressed card.

That's it for the card, but I have one more fun thing to share with you...

A couple of weeks ago I made a blue fabric-covered box, and it was so much fun to make, I just had to make another one. This one is for my DD. I love all the bright, fun colors, and she does, too. It matches her room perfectly! I went a little crazy in the fat quarter department of the fabric store last week, and now I'm all set to make several more of these. :)  They are really sturdy, and make great gift boxes! A link to the tutorial I used is on my Blue Box post.

      pic name                       pic name              
 pic name        pic name  

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I'm entering the Father's Day card in the following challenges:
Viva la Verve April 2013 Week 1 Sketch Challenge (VLVApr2013)
Simon Says Stamp: Travel/Cityscapes
Color Throwdown #238 (CTD238)

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: A Guiding Light, Seaside Life (Flourishes); Simply You (Ali Edwards)
Paper: Little Black Dress (Basic Grey); Hattie Papers (My Mind's Eye); Flourishes Classic White (Flourishes)
Ink: Copics; Copic Opaque White; Spica Pen; Memento; Distress Ink; Stampabilities
Dies: Std Circles Lg, Classic Ovals Sm, Splendid Circles, Labels 18 (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Cloud Stencil (Inky Antices); burlap; Copic Airbrush; brads; Distress Stickles; sewing thread; foam dots
Size: 4.75" sq.
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

4 comments :

Maria said...

Wow!!! Perfect copic coloring! Would love to take a copic class one day, too! Clouds are so pretty and the added spray around the ship! The burlap is super and LOVE those brads! Your colorful box for your daughter is so pretty! I'm sure she loves it! Take care, hugs!

Wanda Cullen said...

Gorgeous card...inside and out! Love the texture of the burlap element! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Color Throwdown!

Leslie Miller said...

Fabulous card! You're doing such a great job with your Copics. Love the stained burlap and how you added the spashes in the water. Good idea for framing the inside, too! And your fabric box is so darn cute and perky! Love it! You're a busy girl, Cheryl, and so darn clever!

Lisa Carroll said...

Gorgeous projects! The gift box is lovely, and the card is so perfectly masculine! Love the pop of texture from the burlap mat. :) Thanks for playing along in our "Travel/Cityscapes" challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog!