PPRS January 2012 Sketch Challenge: Cupid with Wings

Sunday, January 15, 2012



Hello Friends! Did you get a chance to see some of the new Prickley Pear Red Rubber stamps during the blog hop the past few days? Aren't they great! I hope you'll have a chance to order some of them.

Well, the 15th always brings another fun PPRS sketch challenge, and this sketch is so cool. At first, I wasn't sure what I would do, because, this is one of those sketches that works no matter which way you turn it. But, once I turned it on it's side and found my lace, I was good to go.


With Valentine's Day just around the corner, and all those new stamps crying out for ink, I decided to use the new Cupid stamp and make a Valentine's card.


I used red sticky tape to adhere the lace to the main panel. It was really thick on that side, so I backed the rest of the entire piece with three layers of crimped cardstock. I use that method in lieu of foam dots a lot. It seems to work a lot better for large areas.

Isn't this Cupid adorable? Yeah, he runs around shooting people with arrows, but with that angelic face, wouldn't you have to forgive him? :)


I colored him with Copics and fussy cut around the edges, using my trusty razor knife for the interior sections. Then, to set him off from the busy red and white bg, I cut a piece of gray cs slightly larger for his shadow, and popped Cupid up on it. I put tiny dots of Glossy Accents on Cupid's eyes.


The heart was fun to make. I cut the heart and wings out with a Sizzix die, then edged the heart with a glitter marker and heat embossed the Be Mine stamp with white embossing powder. Using a very pale pink feather, I cut two small pieces and hot glued them to the back of the wings. This was a kind of ratty looking feather, but I liked that messiness on the wings.

So, now it's your turn. How will you interpret the sketch this month? I can't wait to find out. So, head on over to the Prickley Pear blog for all the deets on the challenge and to get seriously inspired by the rest of the design team's creations!

Have a fantastic week!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Cupid, Be Mine (Prickley Pear Rubber Stamps)
Paper: Yours Truly (Echo Park Paper); Basic White Paper Pad (Basic Grey)
Ink: Copic markers, Distress Ink
Dies: Heart with Wings (Sizzix)
Accessories: Zing embossing powder; glitter ribbon (Joann); lace; rhinestones; Glossy Accents; foam dots; glitter marker (Martha Stewart); feather
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

6 comments :

Audrey Pettit said...

LOVE this, Cheryl! Such a beautiful take on the January sketch. Love how you turned it on the side and love the paper and lace you used. And brilliant job with the new cupid image.

Gerry said...

Perfect Valentine card Cheryl. The lace really works well the way you turned the sketch. Thanks for the tip on using crimped card stock for backing.

TesaB said...

It's wonderful! Cupid is soooo adorable and love how you backed him like that. And the lace is beautifujl!!!

Angelica Turner said...

Cheryl, this is gorgeous. Loving how you turned the sketch and the use of lace.

Maria said...

A www sweet Valentine card, Cheryl! Love the little Cupid! Great use of lace and how you turned the challenge image to the side for your beautiful card! Take care, hugs!

Theresa said...

This is lovely. The DP is gorgeous and I love that lace.