You Rock!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Good morning! I've got a Mojo Monday card to share with you today, but my daughter and I are off to the theater for the final summer series movie in a few minutes, so I'll be brief--or, at least try to ;).

Mojo202 is an interesting sketch and I had no preconceived ideas about how I was going to approach it, so I just started going through my paper to see what tickled my fancy. Almost immediately, I came upon this strange distressed-looking paper with words and arrows all over it. I've seen it before, and never given it a second thought, but this time I decided to see what I could do with it. Honestly, it's not my favorite paper, but I was in the mood to experiment. It's kind of funny how it worked out, because I was positive I wasn't going to like this card when I was finished.

The rectangular layer paper was designed to coordinate with the background paper, so that was a given. The green and peach colors, I just matched to designs within the paper. I love almost all shades of green, but primary green is definitely NOT one of those shades, so I layered it up with lime green and inked the edges with tea dye Distress Ink. I don't own a pennant die yet, so I cut rectangles the width I wanted the pennants to be and twice the length, then cut from corner to corner to get these shapes. Since I used a rectangle die with a wavy edge, I trimmed the pennant edge to match the curvy rectangle. For the circle, I decided to try my hand at a felt flower, so I cut layers with Daisy Heads dies (2 each of the smaller 2 dies), snipped between each petal, and sewed the layers tightly together with thread to make the edges curl up. I threaded orange waxed linen thread through the button, tied a bow, and hot glued it to the flower and scrunched the whole thing up around the button to give it some dimension. I added a couple of brushed gold brads over the ribbons to balance out the rectangle. I used light pink embossing powder for the "You ROCK!" sentiment from Verve, but I sponged walnut distress ink in that area first to make sure the sentiment didn't have to compete too much with the background paper there. Lastly, I used Liquid Pearls in the corners.

When I was finished, I stepped back and checked it out. Wow! I loved it! It's a little bit funky compared to my usual cards, but it's a fun card, and I already have someone in mind to send it to. Here's the inside:

I'll have another card later today for the Flourishes Bring Back Beautiful challenge, but for now, we're off to see Cats and Dogs. Hope you have a great day today!
 
Stamps: Sweet Treats (Verve)
Paper: Best of K&Co; The Paper Company; Bazzill Basics; Recollections
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Accessories: Dies: Small Labels, Daisy Heads, Curved Rectangles (Spellbinders); Binding Edge Edger punch (EK Success); Reading & Writing embossing folder (Sizzix); Zing embossing powder; ribbon (Fancy Pants Designs); button; felt; waxed linen thread; brads; sewing thread; Liquid Pearls; Perfect Pearls
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

2 comments :

Lisa Elton said...

Love the warm colors of your card and the flower is FABULOUS!

Being Mrs Miles said...

Hi Cheryl

Hope you and your DD had a nice time at the theatre - can't remember the last time I've been to a performance!

Your card is amazing, I appreciate all the TLC you put into it, so many little details and its a delight to the eyes.

Have a terrific end of the week.

~ Barb