Never too late

Monday, August 8, 2011



The card I made for today is for two challenges: the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge #129 and Flourishes Shades of Sunset Color Challenge (sunset colors). I love the sketch because it is a long, skinny card--fun--and I bought two of the new dimensional punches from EK Success that make rolled flowers, so a long card was easily big enough to be able to use one of the flowers. For the color challenge, rather than use early evening warm sunset colors, I chose to go with the late evening, cooler colors of purple, blue, and deep pink.


I used a pale blue cardstock for the flower and cut two 12" strips, layered and glued them together, inked them with Distress Inks on both sides, then rolled the flower up. After gluing it together, I curled the outside petals down, and the center petals in. I glued a large dark pink rhinestone down inside the flower to cover the center of it. I really like how this flower looks, hence all the close-up photos at the top of the post ;), but it is over an inch high, so I might not use it on a card that I was going to mail someone. Also, it's not in this post, but the carnation dimensional flower punch would make great trim for a crown for a little prince or princess :~D

For the sentiment panel, I used stamps from the Kids at Play set, distressed the edges, then sponged several Distress Inks on the edges, concentrating warmer colors on the left and cooler on the right behind the tree for a "sunset" look. The tiny clear rhinestones are stars in the sky.  I layered this panel on top of a tilted Labels Small die cut that I first embossed with the Tropical Paisley embossing folder.

The rest is pretty standard, I think. Here's a peek at the inside:

Thanks for stopping in, and have a terrific week!
 
Stamps: Kids at Play (Flourishes); Celebrate (Studio G)
Paper: Abrianna (K&Co); Bazzill Basics Tropical Stack; Recollections; The Paper Studio
Ink: Staz-On; Tim Holtz Distress Inks
Accessories: Dies: Labels Small, Parisian Accents (Spellbinders); Punches: Fleur de Lis Edger, Gerber Daisy Dimensional Punch (EK Success); Tropical Paisley embossing folder (Sizzix); ribbon (Offray); twine (Twinery); rhinestones, distressing tool, Perfect Pearls (mixed with water for a mist)
Size: #10 (3.75" x 9")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

1 comment :

Leslie Miller said...

What a beautiful flower, and I love this long and low format. You've designed a wonderful card -- inside, too!