Carpe diem!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Hello there! It's a new week, and I hope yours has started off well. I had a nice surprise this morning, when I learned that my Friendship card was chosen as one of the Terrific Top 3 in the CR84FN36 color challenge! It will be so exciting to have the TT3 badge in my sidebar! All the cards in that challenge were beautiful--you should go check them out. While you're at it, you might want to head over to the CR84FN37 challenge. The blues for this one are so pretty. I love color challenges. I get to use color combinations that I might not otherwise try.

Okay, now on to my card for today. It's for the Viva la Verve August sketch challenge-Week 3 (I turned it 90 degrees counterclockwise) and also for the Crazy 4 Challenges theme #102--a "male card." 

What a great sketch this was to work with! Look at all the different layers. I am crazy about layers! (Some say I'm plain crazy, but that's just not true, I tell ya) *~D



For this card, I used yet more digital paper. This time I used Dinner Party, from the Shabby Princess website--FREE! I love FREE! First, I glued some red hemp cord around the perimeter of the large circle die cut with Glossy Accents (it dries a lot faster than white glue). Then I put all the rectangular layers on with foam dots. When I was finished with that, it still needed something, so I tried putting a bead of white Liquid Pearls around the hemp, but that was a near disaster! You need a steady hand for that kind of thing, and I don't possess one of those. :) To try to remedy that, I used more Liquid Pearls, in yellow, and put dots around the circle. Much better. I've still got a long way to go with learning how to use Liquid Pearls, but I am liking it more and more.



Since I wanted this to be a masculine card for the Crazy 4 Challenges male theme, I decided to use the manly "carpe diem" sentiment from Verve's new Words of Wisdom set. I did have a little chuckle when I looked up the phrase to make sure I knew what it meant. According to Merriam-Webster, the Latin origin literally means "pluck the day." I'm good about ignoring things I don't care for, so I'm going with the translation of "seize the day" instead. (I know it doesn't really matter what I think it means, just what the recipient thinks, but I'm funny about knowing stuff like that). Anyway, I think if I told a man, "pluck the day," he might be insulted (or think I'm a nutcase), and I wouldn't want either of those things to happen. For my embellie, I just used 3 black rhinestones.

On the inside, I used the same papers as on the front of the card, except the black and white paper has the colors reversed.  

All in all, I think it's a fairly manly card. I'll have to get my husband's opinion on that later. I just won't tell him about that "pluck the day" thing. *~D

Hope you have a great day today! Thanks for visiting!!!
 
Stamps: Words of Wisdom (Verve)
Paper: Dinner Party-digital (Shabby Princess); The Paper Studio 
Ink: Staz-on; Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Accessories: Standard Circles Lg die (Spellbinders); Hemp Jewelry Cord (Hobby Lobby); rhinestones; Liquid Pearls
Size: 4.25" x 4.25"
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

2 comments :

Theresa said...

Fabulous card!! Love that's it's masculine. I have never done Verve sketches - this one is nice. I may have to do something with it.

Davi said...

Congrats on Cheryl...you new card is so lovley. Cool papers and I love all the wonderful dept you created with all the layers REALLY nice:)
PS over at Heart Song Inspiration we have an anything goes challenge why dont you enter this one :)