Prickley Pear Poinsettia

Monday, October 10, 2011

Hi Friends! Well, today is my first official post as the Guest Designer for the Prickley Pear Rubber Stamp Design Team! I've been so excited to get started! But, first let me tell you, PPRS stamps are so fab! They stamp crisp and clear, and there are so many images to choose from. There is everything from elegant to whimsical. And, many of the clear acrylic sets even have dies to match, also. You really should visit the store to see for yourself. It's amazing!

For my first PPRS project, I created a stamped candle. This was a fun one, and so much easier than I anticipated.

There are several video tutorials out there on how to do this, and I noticed that there were slight variations in each one that I watched. Here's how I made this one:

Stamp the Poinsettia image on tissue paper using black ink.
Color the image as desired. I used colored pencils and Gamsol. Whatever you use, be gentle--the tissue paper tears easily.
Cut the image out leaving a small border.
Place the image where desired on the candle, then cover with a layer of plastic wrap. It should be tight--I held mine on the back side of the candle. Be sure to get all the wrinkles out--they will show up later if you don't. :)
Using your heat gun, heat the image. Keep the heat gun moving so the candle will melt evenly. The goal is to melt the wax just enough so that it will absorb into the tissue paper, leaving a thin layer of wax on top of the tissue paper. Once the paper has absorbed the wax, remove the plastic wrap and decorate the candle as desired.

For this candle, I added yellow Stickles to the center of the flowers, put a Parisian Accent strip around the bottom and a red gingham ribbon on top of that, then hot-glued a bow to the ribbon. To finish it off, I placed red rhinestones on the ribbon, all the way around the candle.

See...isn't that easy? Every Christmas I think I'm going to make something for gifts, but it always ends up that I don't have time. This year, I think I can do it with this project. Fast, easy, and fun!

Thanks for stopping by today! Have yourself a fantastic week!
 
Stamps: Poinsettia (PPRS)
Paper: Tissue Paper
Ink: Memento
Dies: Parisian Accents (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Colored Pencils (Prismacolor); ribbon (Offray); Stickles; rhinestones; 6" white candle, plastic wrap
Size: 6" candle
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

13 comments :

Shannon White said...

Ooh, this is soo Lovely Miss Cheryl! Love your Pretty Christmas candle! I have seen a couple of the tutorials you mentioned, but have been apprehensive to try them.. but ou make it sound so easy, I am going to have to give it a try! I agree they would make Fantastic gifts! 8-)

Big hugs
Shannon

P.S. Thanks for the head sup on the CR84FN challenge.. It was a Wonderful surprise! 8-)

Audrey Pettit said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, Cheryl!! What a fabulous gift idea this is. I think the Poinsettia is just so beautiful for this. Your coloring is fabulous and bravo on cutting out that image. Love the addition of the glitter in the centers. Really fantastic!

Lori said...

Lovely job. This couldn't be any more perfect for a holiday gift. I know you're going to inspire so many with your project.

afilatreau said...

What a fantastic idea! Your candle came out gorgeous! I love it!

TesaB said...

It's soooo pretty! The stamp and coloring is so beautiful and I could die for that bow. WOW! :)

Linda Kaiser said...

I love your candle. The stamping is beautiful.

Linda

Angelica Turner said...

This candle is amazing, you have done a gorgeous job with the image.

Bernie said...

Gorgeous! I made a few of these last year as gifts and plan to sell some at the Holiday Bazaars if I can get everything done in time.
Blessings Bernie

Cindy Haffner said...

Just GORGEOUS!~

Maria said...

Fabulous! Super gift idea, Cheryl! You colored those poinsettia flowers perfectly, so pretty! Take care!!:-))

Melissa said...

This is so pretty, Cheryl! I've wanted to try a candle for some time now and you've given me what I need to try it...instructions! :)

Marybeth said...

Wow! I love this . I never even thought of doing something like this. The things we can do are endless. TFS. You mentioned looking up close at my card with the maple leaf. I should have mentioned in my blog. I cut out the leaf on the embossed background , red paper is stamped behind the white background. Love the candle!

Karen B. said...

Beautiful and oh so stunning!