CR84FN40-Week 2: Take Time to Celebrate

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Happy Sunday! It's Week 2 of the CR84FN40 Color Challenge, so you've still got time to play along with us using these lucious colors. Doesn't that fruit look delicious? How could you not be inspired! ;)

I went in a little different direction with this week's card, making it just a tad masculine. I suppose it could be argued that the Minnie Mouse-ish red and white polka dot paper, twine bow, and red flower keep this from being a card that a male could appreciate, but I think the copper gear, rough twine, metal studs, and postage stamp border (not to mention all that nice brown and kraft color) balance out the other fun elements.

For the layout, I used sketch SSSC137 from the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge, adding the sentiment, gear, diagional wrapped twine, rose, and metal studs. Speaking of that gear, it was a tough decision as to whether or not I would use it. I like it, but all I could think of when I looked at it was Mercedes Benz, then my 7-year old daughter saw it and told me she liked the peace sign on the card. It really is a strange looking gear to me, but in the end, I decided it looked better on the card than not. The kraft border on the right side was embossed with the Clockworks embossing folder, then edged with a postage stamp edger. All the edges on the card were inked with either Walnut Stain or Tea Dye Distress Ink.



I embossed the clockface with a chocolate colored embossing powder and added a metal stud to the center. To give the card a more masculine look, I also placed metal studs in the left upper and lower corners. Before adding the paper flower, I spritzed it fairly heavily with Perfect Pearls Mist to give it an aged look.



On the inside, I tried something new (for me, anyway). I inked up the inside of the Clockworks embossing folder with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, then ran it through the Big Shot with a piece of kraft cardstock inside. I love how it turned out, and will be using that technique again. To tie in with the front of the card, I punched the top and bottom of the paper with the Postage Stamper edge punch and inked all four edges.

Be sure to head over to the CR84FN Color Challenge blog and check out the fabulous samples from the Design Team, then show us how you were inspired by linking up your own project.

Thanks for visiting my blog today! And, have yourself a colorful, crafty day!

 
Stamps: Moments in Time (Flourishes); Make a Wish Quotes (Fiskars)
Paper: This & That (Lilybee Design); The Paper Studio
Ink: Staz-On; Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Dies: Std Circles Lg, Curved Rectangles, Large Labels (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Postage Stamp Edge Punch (EK Success); Clockworks embossing folder (Cuttlebug); embossing powder (Zing); Corner Chomper; Sprocket Gear (Tim Holtz); Metal Studs (Flora & Fauna K&Co); household twine; flower (Recollections) Perfect Pearls Mist
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

13 comments :

Deborah Frings said...

Cheryl - this is super - I do like the metail studs, the cogs and the clock - it does have a masculine feel. It's fab - the inside is super!

Pauline said...

This is gorgeous, love the vintage clock face, and the decorated inside, such a wonderful masculine card.

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Cheryl! The embossed clock face looks amazing! Love all the metal embellishments!

Unknown said...

Fabulous card, Cheryl! Love the embossing and all the wonderful distressing!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Great card! I love all the details and the cogs, etc.

Heather Rogers said...

So pretty Cheryl. The metal parts and flower are pretty embellishments. :)
Thanks for playing at CR84FN!
Hugs~

Suzanne C said...

Love how you used the colors! Beautiful design that clock is fantastic. Lovely inside and out!

joy said...

I love the dimension you have created on your card with the flower and and nail heads. Wonderful job!

farmhouse-story said...

this is so awesome, cheryl! love the clock:)

Maria said...

Fabulous card! Am lovin' that clock piece and all the metal with great dimension! Beautiful inside of card, too! Great color...LOVE IT!!!

Leslie Miller said...

You've made this so beautiful and feminine looking! I love it!

Sue Lelli said...

Cheryl, this is just LOVELY! That sentiment with the clock is so PERFECT! LOVE the twine and the pinked edges! FAB inside too!

Shirley said...

Well, this is how we met and I want to thank you for the great compliment on my blog too! I love the shape of your card, the beautiful embellishments and the awesome use of your colors! A really beautiful card!