Thanks a bunch

Friday, July 8, 2011

Happy Friday! I hope you've had a great week. Ours was fairly uneventful, if you don't count the bull that roamed the neighborhood for a couple of days. I never actually saw it, but a neighbor said she saw it grazing in our backyard Wednesday morning. We've lived in a rural area for about three years now, and are used to seeing livestock, but usually they are in a pasture...fenced in. This one was wearing a collar. I haven't heard of any more sightings for today, so I hope his owner found him and he's okay

Now, on to cards. I combined two challenges: Flourishes Farm Fresh Challenge and My Favorite Things Wednesday Stamp Club #27. After my "issues" with coloring with Copics on my last card, I wasn't too sure I wanted to do the Flourishes challenge because it was to use fruit or veggies as a focus which meant coloring. I recently bought Flourishes Garden Fresh stamp set, which I love when I see what someone else has done with it, but I still hadn't tried it out yet. So, I decided to be fearless today. I stamped the carrots onto cardstock and pretended I knew what I was doing when I colored them. Instead of coloring the background, I just outlined the image lightly in a pale yellow. Then, low and behold, I was finished and I liked the result very much. I love it when I surprise my inner critic. I used the sentiment "Thanks a bunch," from Flourishes Zinnias set.

The MFT Challenge sketch was fun to work with. I like the offset rectangles and the oval that's high and to the right of center. It always seems more challenging to design things asymmetrically. This sketch has a butterfly (which I think means an embellishment) in the lower right corner of the card. When I had everything else put together, that was the only thing I was lacking. I didn't have much room to work with because I didn't want to cover up all my coloring :)  The bows I tried seemed too big or just not right for this particular card, and a butterfly wasn't too relevant to a bunch of carrots. I don't have a whole lot in the way of embellishments so I usually end up using buttons, bows, or flowers. I almost gave up on putting anything else on the card. Then, I remembered that I had some household twine. I wound up some, wrapped it in the middle with some Honeydew twine from the Twinery, and hot glued it to the picture. Perfect. (You can't tell in the photograph, but the base cardstock is actually a very dark eggplant color--not black or brown. It's very pretty in real life)

On a sidenote, my daughter made two cards today. One was a thank you card for her aunt and uncle, and the other was for a friend who's having a birthday party tomorrow. I do any cutting that needs to be done on the paper cutter and I handle the glue gun, but other than that (and a little encouraging advice) she did these both by herself. I tried to get her to paper piece the balloons, but she wasn't having any of that. Her attention span is just a tiny bit shorter than mine ;)
pic name           pic name
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy the weekend!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Garden Fresh, Zinnias (Flourishes)
Paper: Sweet Threads (Basic Grey); Fairy Flora (Prima); Bazzill Basics; Recollections
Ink: Distress Ink; Colorbox 
Accessories: Copics; Classic Oval Lg die (Spellbinders); Garden Trellis edger punch (Martha Stewart); Clear Embossing Pwdr (Zing); brads; mini round gems (Recollections); twine (Twinery & household); dimensionals; sewing
Size: A2 (4/25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

7 comments :

ChristineCreations said...

Looks so warm and rich with these yummy carrots! You did great to be fearless with it! :) Thanks for playing the Flourishes Farm Fresh Challenge! And cute cards by your daughter too! Runs in the family!

Heather Rogers said...

I think you did an amazing job coloring the carrots. You need not worry about your skills. :)
Your daughter's cards are so sweet. My 11 year old son likes to get in the craft room with me as well. :)

D Self said...

Your carrots look fresh from the garden. I also like the base for this card. Your daughter's card are really cute. Keep up the good work

Julie Koerber said...

This looks so rich in color and I love the fun decorative paper you picked! Thanks for joining us gals over at Flourishes! :-)

Stacy aka Twinshappy said...

Great veggie card, the papers and your rich colors are perfect. Thanks for playing in Flourishes Farm Fresh Challenge.

Shannon White said...

This is sooo Fabulous! I think you colored up your carrots just wonderfully! And I love the combo of dp's you used too, just looks so warm and rich! And your twine bow embellie is perfect and so creative! Just a really wonderful card!

Hugs
Shannon 8-)

Leslie Miller said...

Your carrots look amazing, actually! Love the warm, rich colors of your card, too. Just perfect for a vegetable card, which seems like it should be kind of earthy. Love to see another image fitting for the "thanks a bunch" sentiment. Fun! Your daughter's talent for cardmaking is flourishing right along with yours! She's good! Thanks for playing along with us at Flourishes!