Friends are special treasures

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hello friends! My daughter got a ton of Sizzix dies (people and clothes) for her birthday this week (she likes to make cards, too) and we're heading out to look for something to store her things in. Her craft area is starting to look as messy as mine! One day soon I'll post a picture or two of our craft room. It's a nice room that was originally set up for knitting, but I'm packing all that stuff up to sell and trying to transform it into a papercrafting room, so right now it's a disaster. I'll show you a "before" photo when I've got a nice "after" photo to go along with it ;) In the meantime, I'll make this brief.

I almost always forget that I can usually combine challenges, so I miss out on a lot of them for lack time, but today I remembered. Today's card is for for three different challenges: Flourishes Timeless Tuesday, The Cat's Pajamas TCP Tuesday, and Taylored Expressions Sketch Challenge. Taylored Expressions provided the sketch, The Cat's Pajamas had 3 photos to use as inspiration, so I went with color--pink, brown, ivory, blue, and "waffle cone," and Flourishes had "friends" as the theme--the word "friend" had to be in the sentiment.

I used a Flourishes stamp from the Zinnia set and colored it with Copics. As with most everything else I do in cardmaking, I am far from an expert, and Copics are one of my biggest challenges. One of these days I need to take a class or buy a good book or DVD on how to color with these wonderful markers. I colored the flowers okay, but couldn't do anything with the background, so I ended up coloring it in almost completely with blue. It looked awful--lots of streaks, so I used a tumbled glass distress ink and sponged in enough to make it look better, then I sponged vintage photo along the edges to give it a more defined look. I added yellow Stickles to the flower centers to give them some pizazz. If the dp I chose wasn't in such muted colors, I wouldn't be happy with my coloring at all, but it actually turned out alright, and it photographed pretty good, too.


 Thanks for stopping by. Hope you'll visit again soon!
 
Stamps: Zinnias (Flourishes); Essential Messasges (Hero Arts)
Paper: Best of K&Co; Shimmer Stack (DCWV); Recollections
Ink: Staz-On; Tim Holtz Distress Inks
Accessories: Labels Four (Spellbinders); Monarch Butterfly Lg Punch (Martha Stewart); Crop-a-dile corner chomper; ribbon (Offray); Mini Round Gems (Recollections); Stickles; Glossy Accents; Copics
Size: A-2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

4 comments :

Heather Rogers said...

Fabulous job with the challenge. Your Zinnia's look wonderful. I found a lot of You Tube videos helpful to me. Also, on the Flourishes blog under the Tutorials tab are many videos on techniques and coloring. They were very useful to me when I first started coloring. Make sure you check those out. :)

Thanks for playing FTTC.

Jenny said...

Thanks for playing in our TCP Tuesday challenge Cheryl! Your card is stunning and congrats on your first blinkie (I was scrolling down to older posts;)!! It is so nice to be recognized! Keep up with the blogging! I started not even a year ago and now I am on a great design team and have been a guest designer for other amazing companies!! I never would have dreamed it possible! And I know that half the battle is getting a picture and submitting on time! I still miss so many deadlines when I already have the card made!! But the funnest part is making the card anyway, so thats the important part! Look forward to seeing your work in the future in our weekly challenges! And random winners are chosen each week for bucks to the online store!!

Shannon White said...

Wow! What a Beautiful card! Love the gorgeous colors and dp's your chose and your zinnias look wonderful! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Silke Ledlow said...

Simply gorgeous Cheryl! Love this card and perfect for a friend! Thank you for playing the FTTC with us :) !!! Hugs ~S~