Celebrate summer

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hi there, blog friends! We'll be spending a few days visiting The Mouse in Orlando next week, so here's one more post before we go. It takes care of two challenges: the July Sketch for You to Try, over at iheart2stamp; and the Crazy 4 Challenges summer theme challenge. I live in the deep south and summers here can be HOT! I'm a very cold-natured person (80-85 degrees is probably my ideal temperature range), so summer is my favorite time of the year, and normally, I would think of a summer-themed card as one with lots of vibrant colors, maybe a pool or beach scene, kids playing--something along those lines. Well, this weekend I took my daughter to a pool party. It was 102 degrees and I don't swim, so I was outside in that heat for over two hours. It was almost unbearable, even in the shade, even for me. Let me tell you, I wasn't feeling those fun, bright colors...I was feeling hot--white hot! So, when I decided to make the summer-themed card, I thought about the way a blazing, hot sun can make everything look a little washed out. The color is still there and just as beautiful, but muted through the glare. So, here's my idea of summer today.

The card says "Celebrate Summer." It's hard to see it in a photo, so here's a close up. Not sure that's much better, but it shows off the iridescence on the butterfly, too, so I'm going with it anyway ;)
I really enjoyed making this card. I love layers, and this sketch has plenty. The Prima paper was an easy choice. Lots of bright colors, but with the watercolor effect, they weren't too bright. My original intention was to use plain white paper for most of the card, maybe with just a hint of texture. But, it needed a little bit of oomph if it was going to sit right next to that happy Prima paper, so I pulled out my embossing folders. I think it's the first time I've used either of these particular folders and they look so good together. I'm sure I'll be going back to them again soon. Also, I had started out wanting everything but the dp and embellishments to be solid white, but the embossing was so pretty I wanted to show it off so, I sponged Spun Sugar Distress Ink over it.

Buttons were an obvious option for the three circles on the sketch. The flowers caught my eye, and the colors were a match, so I glued them on. It took me a little while to decide what to do on the sentiment panel. I didn't want a big empty space next to the sentiment and I couldn't get ribbon and bows to cooperate, so I punched a butterfly and it fit pretty good. I wanted just a little bit of shine on the card, so an iridescent butterfly and a few pearls seemed to fit the bill, just fine. I have some pots of Perfect Pearls, but the only thing I've ever used them for is to mix with water and reinkers to make my own mists, so I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them. My first attempt to cover the butterfly was to ink Perfect Medium over the butterfly, then brush the Perfect Pearl powder over that. I don't know if I did something wrong, but the powder never would stick. So, I went to the trusty web for guidance. I ended up mixing the powder with a little water and painted it on. It turned out so pretty. The butterfly looks like it was punched from a sheet of pink copper.

Hope that wasn't too much on the process, but I like knowing how other people "figure out" their cards and thought you might, too.

Thanks for stopping by!  I won't be posting for a few days, so have a great week!!!
 
Stamps: Everything Happy (Stampendous)
Paper: Fairy Flora (Prima); Darice; Recollections
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Accessories: Diamonds in Diamonds & Tropical Paisley embossing folders (Sizzix); embossing powder (Zing); Monarch Butterfly Lg punch (Martha Stewart); Crop-a-dile Corner Chomper; Perfect Pearls; buttons, pearls, mini roses (Recollections); dimensionals
Size: A-2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

3 comments :

Cindy Haffner said...

Cheryl this is so PRETTY~

Heather Rogers said...

Love the soft colors. I totally understand about the heat. I live in AL and it has been hot and humid. We have been getting a lot of very needed rain. :)

Shannon White said...

Miss Cheryl, this is just So Pretty! I love the soft pink and the lovely embossing. And the little popes of bright colors with the Darling Butterfly and button roses! Just a Pretty Pretty Card!

Hugs
Shannon