Just because

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hi friends! Hope you enjoyed your weekend. I was looking back through the handful of posts I've written so far and I noticed that all my cards have been fairly intense with color, so for the Viva la Verve Week 2 challenge, I went with a more subdued vintage/shabby/grunge card. Actually, I'm not sure how to categorize it. Help me out, if you can.

Heads-up here--this gets a little sentimental.

When I think of vintage, I always think of my great-grandmother, Laura Bell (Ninny, to us kids). Not because she was a delicate, prim and proper lady, although I do remember her as a tiny thing. No, I think of her as timeless, strong, adventurous, artistic, and, well...cool. You know--vintage. You would have liked her. She would have been 113 years old next month. This card is a sort of snapshot of my Ninny:

For her femininity: the blue flower print paper and cotton lace
For her tough spirit: the brown and white plaid paper
For her humor and playfulness: the Swiss dot embossing
For her natural artistic talent: the embossed leaves on the blue panel
For her inner beauty: the flower and pearls
For the way I remember always seeing her--smiling and happy: the "smile" brad
For the hardships she endured: the dark ink spots
For the dignity and strength with which she wore every single wrinkle and scar: the grunge look
For her positive attitude: the sentiment

She's been gone from this earth for 38 years, and she's still missed.

Thanks for your visit. Come back soon!

 
Stamps: Sweet Treats (Verve)
Paper: Watercolor Bouquet (K&Co); Sweet Threads (Basic Grey); Recollections; Darice
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Accessories: Swiss Dots & Leafy Branch embossing folders (Cuttlebug); Classy Label Die (Verve); lace; Mini Rose (Recollections); pin; beads; pearls; metal brad (Studio K); Perfect Pearls Mist; dimensionals
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

2 comments :

Heather Rogers said...

Such a beautiful card for such a wonderful woman. I know she would be proud of it. :)

Shannon White said...

Wow... I love this! Soo vintage chic! Just beautiful! Your Ninny would have loved every bit of it! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon