TESC153: Just Sittin' Here

Friday, February 24, 2012

Happy Friday, Friends! I hope you've had a good week and have a wonderful weekend planned. I also hope you've got some crafting time budgeted because it's time for the new Taylored Expressions Sketch Challenge (TESC153), and this week's amazing sketch was designed by the super-talented Sankari Wegman. For my colors for this card, I used the TCPTues198 color challenge palette.


I am thrilled to be Taylor's very first "Top Chef" (did you see my new Top Chef blinkie in my sidebar?), but I have to tell you, I was feelin' the pressure to make another card worthy of that honor. :) I had a lot of different ideas for those little bitty squares, but in the end, I decided to use the spotlighting technique (my first attempt at this technique) and created a park scene. I hope you like it.
























Normally, I think, when doing spotlighting, you leave the main image uncolored and only color the spotlighted areas, but for this, I colored the entire image very lightly, then colored the spotlighted areas darker. I always like a little sparkle on my cards, when I can, so I added crystal Stickles to the background, and used light blue Stickles on the spotlighted areas.

For that sweet little bench, I stamped the image on blue woodgrain dp, did a little shading with a Copic marker, added Pearl Pen dots for the hardware, fussy cut it, then popped it up with foam dots.

I stamped the sentiment on white cs, then cut it out with a leaf die from the Flower Creations Three Spellbinders set. I used Distress Inks to give it some color.

I had fun with the inside, too. I punched the Enchanted Woods border, then used Distress Inks to color it. I used Peeled Paint on the bottom, then Crushed Olive, then Worn Lipstick along the top edge. Then, using Vintage Photo Distress Ink, I inked the bottom edge of a piece of white cs so it would show behind the die cut trees. Finally, I sponged Tumbled Glass Distress Ink above that, for sky, and glued the tree border to the bottom of the cs. Just to give it some definition, I sponged Worn Lipstick along the edges of the entire piece of cs before gluing it to the inside of the card.

So, that's my interpretation of the newest TESC sketch. For more inspiration, check out the rest of the Design Team:



Remember, Taylor has a random drawing for a gift certificate, and she also chooses a new Top Chef with every challenge. Will it be you??? I can't wait to see what you create!


Have a spectacular weekend!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: In the Park (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: The Green Stack (DCWV); Best of K&Co
Ink: Copic markers; Memento; Distress Ink
Dies: Std. Circles Lg, Flower Creations Three (Spellbinders)
Accessories: 3/4" circle punch (EK Success); Enchanted Woods Multi-Shaper; Gridlock embossing folder (Sizzix); ribbon (Ellen Hutson); pearls; sewing thread; foam dots; Stickles; Pearl Pen
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

12 comments :

Cassie said...

Wow, Cheryl! The spotlighting technique was a fabulous idea! I love how you colored the background, but really brightened up the spotlights :D

Carla S. said...

What a beautiful and creative idea for the sketch, Cheryl! Love this!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow this is totally fantastic, great idea and very creative for this sketch, LOVE it!

Marie said...

Oh my what a stunning card from front to back. Great intrepertation of the sketch.

Theresa said...

Congrats you "Top Chef" you...how completely totally fabulous. I just got some stuff from TE and I can't wait to play with it.

What a fantabulous card. I love how you interpreted this sketch. Amazing lady!!

Jessica said...

Sooooo creative! LOVE it!!!

Jami said...

Congrats on Top Chef! I thought about doing spotlighting, but couldn't quite wrap my head around how to do it for the sketch. Your take is really fantastic!!!

Maria said...

Congrats to you for Top Chef!!! Love this card, Cheryl! It is so lovely! What a marvelous outdoor scene! Fabulous design with the tree and leaves. And, the bench is perfect! Great job, Cheryl...take care, hugs!!:-))

Tracy said...

Congratulations again Cheryl on your much deserved Top Chef honors! You nailed the sketch again this week. LOVE how you used it and the spotlight technique just put it over the top!!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a fabulous card Cheryl! Love the image, the spotlighting! What a clever use of the sketch! Congratulations on being the Top Chef! :o)

Pauline said...

This is a brilliant idea Cheryl, this technique is perfect for this tricky sketch! Love the scene you created, and the little die cut bench is so adorable! Congrats on being the Top Chef this week too!

Audrey Pettit said...

How very fun, Cheryl! Love how you did your spotlighting technique here. Using the circles instead of the squares and adding color to the entire image are a fun twist on the technique. Really adore the little park scene you created. SO cute!