African-Themed Wedding Card

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Thursday, Friends! I'll be brief today. My SIL is going to an African-themed wedding soon, and asked me to make a wedding card for it. I used the February 2012 Week 2 Viva la Verve sketch, and turned it on it's side:


Here's the result:
I did a lot of distressing on the edges with my Distrezzer and also by inking some of the edges then wetting and curling them up. I zigzagged the main panel and used a straight decorative stitch on either side of the yellow zigzag pattern on the long narrow rectangle layer at the top of the card.

The sentiment was stamped on vellum in Staz-on ink, then I tore and inked the edges with Distress Ink.


Here's a close up shot of the wild animal cs. Can you see the "sand" I added to the tan areas? That's ultra fine Flower Soft. 

For the flower, using the two smaller dies in the Daisy Heads Spellbinders set, I cut two each, inked the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, then curled the petals up with a stylus. I stacked the layers, gluing only the center of each one, then spritzed the entire flower with a light mist of gold Shimmer Spritz. The center is made of gold colored beads, which I coated in Glossy Accents.


I made the layer directly behind the white sentiment panel by stamping a burlap background stamp in Tea Dye, then Forest Moss Distress Inks.

So there you have it, my non-traditional African-themed wedding card. I hope my SIL likes it! :)

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great night!

~Hugs, 
 
Stamps: Words of Wisdom (Verve); Wedded Bliss (Jen Martin); Tag Lines (Flourishes); Burlap (Stamp Camp)
Paper: Safari Chic (DCWV)
Ink: Distress Ink; Staz-On
Dies: Daisy Heads, Foliage (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Twine; rhinestones; beads; eyelets; sewing thread; Glossy Accents; Flower Soft; Shimmer Spritz
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

11 comments :

Carla S. said...

Wow! This is gorgeous, Cheryl! You did an amazing job with the theme! Very creative design! I am sure your SIL and the couple will be thrilled with it!

Gerry said...

Amazing!!! How could anyone not like this very "specialized" wedding card. Great job

Bernie said...

Wow this is so different. Absolutely amazing and stunningly beautiful!!!! I'm sure it'll be loved and treasured.
Blessings Bernie

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, this is SO, SO cool, Cheryl!

Beate said...

Cheryl, your card is stunning! I LOVE the flower you created, the sand you added to the patterned paper and how you added the twine. It's gorgeous!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs and smiles

Anonymous said...

LOVE this non-traditional wedding card! The colours and your flower are fabulous!

Sue Lelli said...

This card is nothing short of AMAZING! So many details - sand?! Really?! LOVE LOVE LOVE the flower! Prima watch out! LOVE the animals and the map image and the distresiin and the sentiment and the inside! WOW!!!!

Marie said...

Utterly amazing, Cheryl. Love the whole distressed African theme. Great sentiment and super embellishments.

Leslie Miller said...

Wow! Love this card! So much texture and interest. Looks like fabric. You did an amazing job on this very specialized card. Of course, all your cards are fabulous.

Conniecrafter said...

Fantastic papers, pretty flower, love twine too!

Theresa said...

I started to comment on this the other day - and I got pulled another direction. This is totally amazing!! I can't tell you enough how totally in awe I am of your creations. I'm so amazed by all the detail. Well done!!