Copics in a Can

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I know...twice in one day?!? This is a quick one.

Kathy, over at The Daily Marker, has a great tutorial for making marker storage from soup cans. Have you seen it? Fabulous! So, guess what I had for dinner last night??? That's right, Progresso soup! I've got all my labels made, and one actually on a can. I CASE'd Kathy's design almost exactly, but used a different background stamp, different sentiments (Verve's new Words of Wisdom set was perfect for this), and different floral accents. Okay, maybe not exactly, but really, really close.

One note of caution: the cans are extremely sharp! I'd show you the proof, but it's nasty looking. I still can't believe I actually stuck my hand down inside the can to wash it out! :~$ My husband has since used a grinder to remove the sharp edges, so I'm safe for now. :)

I used my Sizzix to cut a circle of craft foam and one of felt for the bottom of the can. I'm putting the foam in first and the felt on top of that. Makes for a cushy and quiet can.

I'll post photos of the cans as I get them finished.

Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight???  :D
 
Stamps: Words of Wisdom (Verve); Four Leaf Grid (Hero Arts); Organic Fabric Flourish (Inkadinkadoo)
Paper: Recollections
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink; Memento; Copic Markers
Dies: Labels Fourteen, Std. Circles Lg. (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Opaque White Pen (Inkssentials); Stickles; Paper Trimmer with Wave Blade (Fiskars); foam dots; empty Progresso soup can; sewing thread; Glossy Accents; felt; craft foam
Size: 11" x 4-1/8" (finished size of label)
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

3 comments :

Theresa said...

Great idea!! I need to make something like this to use in my classroom for pencils and markers for the kids (I'll definitely have to put contact paper around it to keep them from destroying them.)

Fabulous work. Love the stitching. Can't wait to see the rest.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Cheryl,

Beautiful copic storage idea! I hope you don't have too many band-aids on your fingers - that could affect your stamping :-)

Shannon White said...

What a great idea for Copic storage! Hope your poor hand is okay! Ouch, I know that must have smarted big time.. I actually use something very similar to store my Copics.. Great minds think alike! 8-) I used empty paint cans to store mine and have them in a cubby shelf above my crafting table, on their sides, opening facing out for easy access. But they are not anywhere near as pretty as yours are though..8-)

Big Hugs and speedy healing!
Shannon