Humble Pumpkin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wizard of Oz Scarecrow Display, 2008
Hello Friends! Fall is almost here. You can feel it in the air. But, another way to know it's fall around here? Outdoor decor--hay bales, corn stalks, pumpkins, and scarecrows. I live in the Scarecrow Capital of the World--seriously, it's an official record--and every September, residents in our little town set out scarecrows by the thousands. It's quite a sight to see. On the way to my daughter's school this morning, we saw our first scarecrows of this year--three or four motorcycle-riding scarecrows in someone's front yard. Very safety-conscious scarecrows, I might add. I believe they were all wearing helmets. Pretty soon, nary a crow will be found in this town. *~D  Fall may not be here officially for two more days, but as far as I'm concerned, it's here now.





Every fall, my daughter loves to go to a big pumpkin patch and pick out a pumpkin to carve. A few years ago, she fell in love with this teeny little pumpkin. It was all she wanted. Now just look at that sweet face. How could we resist? ;) So we got it (and the big pumpkin, too). I think she kept it until it rotted. I love this picture of her.  






So, for my card today, I'm using a simple fall image. The humble pumpkin. 




Inside


The sketch is the Deconstructed Sketch No. 19. For some reason, when I was putting the different papers together for this card, I kept thinking I needed some light blue. I tried everything, but nothing felt right, so I ended up just coloring the water under the pumpkin blue, using a light blue and brown ribbon, and I put light blue Liquid Pearls in the corners of the card. I really like these colors together. You may see another card with this color combo in the near future. ;)



One more thing. If you like pumpkin bread (and even if you don't, give it a try--it's delicious), I've got a fabulous, super-simple fall recipe. For extra deliciousness, spread cream cheese icing on a slice!

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Fall, Y'all!  

  
Stamps: Pumpkin (Michael's); Large Plaid Pattern (Hero Arts); Happy Thanksgiving (Inkadinkadoo)
Paper: Paper Studio
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink; Memento; Colorbox; Copic markers
Dies: Foliage (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Love is in the Air embossing folder (Cuttlebug); ribbon (Michaels); Corner Chomper; Liquid Pearls; Glossy Accents; foam dots
Size: 4-1/4" square
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

6 comments :

Donna Heber said...

Hi Cheryl,

Your pumpkin card is absolutely gorgeous! I just love the color combo and your coloring is fantastic. Happy Fall!

Heather Rogers said...

What a great display. I can't wait to get settled in and get our decorations up too. :)
Your card is perfect. Love fall and everything that goes along with it.
Hugs~

Jessica H said...

That is the sweetest picture of her with the little pumpkin! Love it! Beautiful card as well...as always!

Theresa said...

Great card!! Love the embossing behind the pumpkin. Fabulous coloring on the pumpkin. Love the design.

Maria said...

A lovely fall card, Cheryl! The pumpkin looks so real, so pretty! Love all the colors! Take care!!:-))

Shannon White said...

Oooh, Love this Miss Cheryl! So Wonderfully Fall! Love all things fall! Terrific image and love your coloring! Wonderful layout and embossing and thanks so much for the recipe! I am definitely going to have to give it a try! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon