Big Wish

Monday, September 19, 2011


Hello Friends! For today's card, I used the Viva la Verve September Week 2 sketch, turned on it's side, and the CR84FN38 color challenge colors of bright pink, black, and gray. 

My favorite card making technique is distressing. I love ripping, crumpling, sponging and smearing ink, and generally just aging paper. When I first started making cards, I think I used that technique a lot to cover up my mistakes. Now that I *NEVER* make mistakes, ;oD I just do it because it's fun! Well, I had a ball with this card--I used paint--something I hadn't done before. Check this out! 
As with most of my cards, I didn't start out with this idea. In this case, I felt like the pink Fair Isle border needed a dark frame behind it. I didn't want just a rectangle, so I decided to paint a swipe of black on the background. Because the bg cardstock is slightly textured, the areas that are painted thinly look a little like netting to me. I like the effect.

For the flower, I used Verve stamps, but they didn't seem big enough here, so I tore apart a silk flower and used two of the layers behind the stamped flowers. The butterflies are actually a dark burgundy color, but for some reason, I couldn't get them to come out any color but red in the photo.



The entire time I was making this card, I kept thinking, "this isn't going to work," but once I was finished, I really liked it. Hope you do, too.

And that's it for tonight. Thanks for stopping by!
 
 
Stamps: Sunny Days, Tag Time, Blue Skies (Verve)
Paper: Elegance (Creative Imagination); Sweet Threads (Basic Grey)
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink; Staz-On; Colorbox
Dies: Peony, Fair Isle Border Petites (Spellbinders); Tiny Sweets Scallop (Verve)
Accessories: Classic Butterfly punch (Martha Stewart); embossing powder (Zing); ribbon (Michael's); acrylic paint (Ceramcoat); colored pencils (Primacolor); Enamel Accents (Inkssentials); flower; twine (Twinery); glitter (Martha Stewart); button; Liquid Pearls; foam dots
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

4 comments :

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Cheryl! That flower embellishment looks fabulous! Love the painted background! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

Marie said...

Cheryl, your card is stunning. I love all the eye candy that you layered on your card. Thanks for joining us at CR84FN.

Maria said...

Just love your card! The painted background is fabulous! An amazing flower, so pretty! Added twine, gems, and butterflies makes for a beautiful card...great job!!! Take care!!:-))

Heather Rogers said...

I just realized I keep stopping by and not leaving comments. Sorry!

This is beautiful Cheryl. I love the flower embellishment and sweet little butterflies. :)
Thanks for playing at CR84FN!
Hugs~