Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge #141: Butterflies

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hi Friends! Have you played along with Tuesday Morning Sketches yet? If you have, you know how much fun it is, and if you haven't, this is the perfect time to start, because our intrepid leader, Melissa, has come up with a great sketch, Digital Delights is our fab sponsor,and this week is a judged challenge--not a random drawing! Being a judged challenge, there is a twist, too: Think Spring! You ready?!? Let's go!

Here's the sketch:


And, here's my take on it:
I rotated the sketch and tweaked it just a bit by tilting the main image panel and adding an embellie. The yellow corrugated layer is from a shipping box. I peeled off one side of the paper, painted it, then sanded it to give it a more distressed look. 

For the image, I stamped it in black ink, then embossed it with clear embossing powder. I wanted to use the current Kathy's Lily Pad Palette Challenge of pink, green, and yellow for this card, so I colored the leaves and vines green, one butterfly in shades of pink, one in shades of yellow, and the largest in both pink and yellow. I love how that one turned out, with orange in the blended areas. I added Stickles here and there for some sparkle--always essential in a girlie card. ;)

The sentiment is from Flourishes' Tiny Flowers and Tags set, and I used the coordinating Classic Tags Template die to cut it. See how the knots on the lace lined up perfectly with the eyelets on the white die cut border? I didn't know that was going to happen until I was actually putting it together. I love it when things work out just right, by pure chance.

As busy as the front of this card is, the inside was much more difficult for me to design. All I knew was that I wanted to use this Spellbinders Flying Beauties die cut. I've had the set for awhile, but never used it. You can't see it in the picture, but after sponging Distress Ink on the butterfly, I spritzed it with Shimmer Spritz, so it shimmers in the light. The flourish underneath the sentiment is from the In Flight stamp set from Our Craft Lounge--perfect since that is a butterfly set, too. 

Okay, that's it for my card. I sure hope you can join us at Tuesday Morning Sketches this week! And, for some fantastic inspiration, be sure to check out the rest of the DT to see how they interpreted this sketch. You may be so inspired, you'll want to make more than one card for the challenge! ;) I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I'll be entering this card in the following additional challenges:
Simon Says Stamp: Use Your Favorite Tool (Mine is the Big Shot!)
Little Darlings Challenge 20: Outside
Kathy's Lily Pad Palette Challenge: Pink, green, yellow
Flourishes Bring Back Beautiful Challenge 21: The Beauty of Friendship
Crafty Friends Challenge #1: Vintage

Thanks so much for visiting me today! Hope you have a wonderful week, and have fun with the challenge!

~Hugs!
 
Stamps: On Butterfly Wings (Hampton Art); Tiny Flowers & Tags (Flourishes); Sunny Days (Verve); In Flight (Our Craft Lounge)
Paper: Sweet Nectar (K&Co); cardboard
Ink: Copics; Colorbox; Distress Ink
Dies: Classic Tags Template (Flourishes); Fair Isle Border Petites, Fleur de Lis Rectangle, Flying Beauties (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Clear embossing powder; lace (Joann); acrylic paint; flower; twine; Stickles; Shimmer Spritz; Enamel Accents; sanding block
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

27 comments :

Beate said...

Wow! Cheryl, your image looks amazing. So does the entire card. Gorgeous creation.
Hugs and smiles

Carla S. said...

Gorgeous card, Cheryl! Wonderful design, inside and out!

chanya13 said...

Wonderful, butterflies are amazing.

Kathy said...

So pretty Cheryl. Love the way the bright colors pop on the kraft. Very pretty inside, too.

Sue Lelli said...

This is so PRETTY Cheryl! LOVE the corrugated painted paper and your trim that matched the twine color! FAB image, too!

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Wow - Stunning card!!!!!!!!!

Jessica G. said...

Gorgeous technique with the butterfly panel and I am so impressed with your repurposed corrugated panel -- I need to try that!

Angela said...

I like this combo of shabby/scrappy...very pretty!

Marie said...

Simply beautiful, Cheryl. Love the angled focal point, the great embellies and, of course, the butterflies. I think my Garden is missing these lovely butterflies.

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow! Your card is absolutely beautiful, Cheryl! I love how you rotated the sketch and love all the detail to your design. That painted cardboard is so, so cool. And LOVE the embossed butterfly panel! Stunning!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow Stunning, love how the colors in your image just pop against that black background, your scallop and lace combo is lovely as is that flower, neat job with the sketch!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

THis is stunning, Cheryl! WOW!

Dawn said...

Beautiful card Cheryl--inside and out! Love the embossing. Clever idea to use corrugated cardboard as the back layer. So cool!

Shelby said...

This is just all kinds of gorgeous! Beautiful work especially love how you've done the butterflies!

Shelby

Unknown said...

Wow Cheryl, I adore butterflies and the one in the middle is stunning .
Fabulous work I love this card .
What beautiful detail , the lace and the glittered edges to the flower , I love it all.
Hugs elaine

NinaB said...

Wow, a true masterpiece. Thanks for playing along with us at the Crafty Friends' Challenge.

Joan Ervin said...

Oh my word...this is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! The butterflies really pop against the black background and I love how you used the corrugated cardboard!!!!! Stunning creation, Cheryl!!!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous butterflies Cheryl! Love the vibrant colors! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kathy Jones said...

Beautiful card!!! Love your colours and that fab little tag!!! Thanks so much for playing the Bring Back Beautiful Challenge!!! :)

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

SO artsy, love it!! Thanks for joining us this month for the BBB challenge! xx

Betty Wright said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Cheryl! Beautiful colors and technique! Love the whole design! Thanks for joining us this month for Flourishes BBB challenge!

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh, I love the amazing texture and sparkle, Cheryl, and how fabulous is that lace? I do LOVE a fab coincidence like that matching up - usually I squeal when that happens :)

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

SO gorgeous, Cheryl!! The colours are divine they pop right off your card!

Theresa said...

I'm sorry for being so far behind. This card is beyond gorgeous. It's just stunning.

Heather Rogers said...

Beautiful Cheryl! Love the pretty fresh color combo and you know I always love butterflies. :)

Hugs~

Melissa Craig said...

Wow! This card is absolutely stunning.

Naomi said...

Wow, this card is FULL of GORGEOUS details but, I especially love how you coloured that butterfly! The pink, orange, and yellow blend beautifully! Thanks so much for joining us at Flourishes for the Bring Back Beautiful Challenge!