Our Craft Lounge--April Artist of the Month: Proud as a Peacock

Monday, April 23, 2012

Hi Friends! It's that time again...Week 4 as the Our Craft Lounge April Artist of the Month, and I had a blast making today's card.
My DD's 2nd grade year is coming to a close soon, and for the second year in a row she will be setting her school's record for Accelerated Reader points (she had 500 points at the end of 1st grade, and is on track to beat that by over 100 more points this year!), so I wanted to make her a card to tell her how proud we are of her, and nothing says "proud" like a beautiful peacock!

I used the April 2012 Viva la Verve Week 1 sketch for this card, and followed it almost exactly, except for adding some gold corner stickers and a bird flourish die cut layer.


I dry embossed the green rectangle layer, then used several colors of distress ink over the raised areas and finished it off by adding a little gold embossing powder here and there to give it an aged look, finally inserting turquoise eyelets in the corners.

I colored the beautiful peacock with my Copic markers, then used Stickles on the tail, a Pearl Pen on the beak, Enamel Accents for the eye, and Sparkly Fluff on the body and neck. I didn't "fluff" the head because I didn't want to lose the detail on the eye and beak. To get all the different colors of fluff, I applied it similarly to glitter, gluing down one color at a time, then tapping off the excess and letting it dry between each color. I'm telling you, I just LOVE Sparkly Fluff. So far, I've used it as "dirt," as part of flowers, and now as feathers. That's some really versatile "fluff stuff." :) I used a Pearl Pen to make the copper pearls around the edge of the circle die cut.

Scraps, from the front of the card, dress up the inside, and the sentiments and tail feather stamps came from the same Proud as a Peacock stamp set.

I'll be entering this card in the following challenges:

Thanks for stopping by! I'll be back tomorrow with a new sketch from Tuesday Morning Sketches, and next Monday will be my final week as Artist of the Month at Our Craft Lounge. Wow, this month has just flown by. Have a great day!

~Hugs!
 
Stamps: Proud as a Peacock (Our Craft Lounge)
Paper: Reflections (Prima); Lost & Found (My Mind's Eye); Shimmer Stack (DCWV)
Ink: Memento; Copics; Distress Ink
Dies: Standard Circles Sm, Bird Flourishes, Classic Scalloped Circles Lg (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Love is in the Air embossing folder (Cuttlebug); gold embossing powder; Morocco Lace Edge Punch (EK Success); Starform stickers; Sparkly Fluff; eyelets; Stickles; Pearl Pen; Enamel Accents; sewing thread
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

8 comments :

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Cheryl - this is fabulous! I love your images and the gorgeous texture you have created! Great use of Dies too! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Friends - we love to see you! {{{hugs}}}

Maria said...

A gorgeous peacock card! Love how you really dressed it up with grand style, so pretty! Big congrats to your daughter for being such a fantastic reader! You must be very proud! Take care, hugs!!:-))

Carla S. said...

Gorgeous card, Cheryl! I love the vibrant colors and the beautiful, sparkly peacock!

Jeanne J. said...

Hi Cheryl! What a beauty! I love the texture and the sparkle here! That peacock image is great and you've really made it a stand out!

Theresa said...

Cheryl, this is fabulous!! Wow I love all the texture on the peacock and the shinnies too!! Congrats to dd - we get Accelerated Reader next year so I can't wait to see what it's all about.

Heather Rogers said...

That glittered Peacock is handsome...since a Peacock is male he has to be handsome and not beautiful. LOL

hugs~

Shelby said...

Your daughter should be so proud of herself and her reading accomplishments...reading will serve her well! Beautiful card and love love all of the different textures you've used.

Shelby

angeleef said...

This is really fabulously done! Looks really lush!
Thanks for joining us at whimsy
Greetz
**Evi**