You Make Me Smile!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July, Friends! Lots of BBQ's and picnics happening today! Hope you are having a blast! For us, today is a prep day, as our DD's 8th birthday is tomorrow. Her birthday tends to be spread out over several days because it falls so close to a summer holiday, when most people are already busy or even out of town. This year, my DH and I will be taking her to her favorite restaurant tomorrow night (Olive Garden--that girl is nuts about fettucini!), then Saturday we'll be at my mother's house for a family fete, with a cookout and swimming, and at the end of July, my DD and I, along with one of her best buds and his mother will be spending the night inside the Georgia Aquarium! We're hoping to get to sleep next to the whale shark tank!

I made a Tinkerbell card a couple of months ago that I was going to give to my DD for her birthday, and I still may give it to her on Saturday, but I've been wanting to make a wall hanging for awhile, so I decided to make a wall hanging for my DD as her birthday card. I also have an adorable Elisabeth Bell stamp that I recently won in a Crafty Friends Challenge that has been calling out to me and it seemed perfect for what I had in mind.
There's quite a bit going on here. I used a piece of corrugated cardboard for the base, did some painting and sewing, distressed the edges, added lots of bling and die cuts. Almost all the papers are digital papers from Cupcake Cards & Crafts. The sentiment was heat embossed with pink embossing powder.

Mojo Monday's sketch this week (#248) was perfect for this project. As you can see, I did rotate it 90 degrees.


I colored Chloe with Copic markers. For the clouds, I just punched circles out of sticky paper to use as a mask, then used my airbrush with my Copics for the sky. I edged the underside of the clouds with a gray marker. I made the apples in the basket green, because Granny Smith apples are my DD's fav! I added a little bit of sparkle with Stickles on the lace on Chloe's shirt, as well as the green dots on her headband.


I made the flower with the Rose Creations Spellbinders dies and backed it with a Memory Box die cut called Delicate Dahlia. I love that die cut! You can also see the Bird Flourish die cut really well in this photo. 


My DD is really sweet, and loves anything I make, but I think she is really going to like this--especially since she can hang it in her room! 

Thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic 4th!!!

I'd like to enter this creation in the following challenges:

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Chloe by Elisabeth Bell (Whimsy Stamps); Simply You by Ali Edwards (Technique Tuesday)
Paper: Cardboard; Mango Frost Matstock (DCWV); Sweet Gingham, Houndstooth, Flourish, Minty Freebie (Cupcake Cards & Crafts Digi Paper)
Ink: Copic markers; Distress Ink; Memento; white gel pen
Dies: Rose Creations, Labels Fourteen, Floral Doily Accent, Fancy Tags Three, Bird Flourishes (Spellbinders); Delicate Dahlia (Memory Box)
Accessories: Scallop Diamond Edger (EK Success); embossing powder (Zing); tulle ribbon; sheer ribbon; cotton lace; acrylic paint; paper crimper; rhinestones; mini round gem; button; brad; eyelets; Glossy Accents; Stickles; Liquid Pearls; sewing thread, foam dots
Size: 7" x 9"
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

11 comments :

Jessi Fogan said...

OK, wait, you get to SLEEP IN THE AQUARIUM? Please, please tell your daughter that I think that's going to be the BEST birthday sleepover of all time. I would so love it! Give her happy birthday wishes too - I love it when celebrations take a few days :)
As for that wall hanging - wow! A little girl's dream come to life. I love all the different elements, especially the big tulle bow, and that luscious flower. I love the sentiment tucked in there too :)

Shelby said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! Beautiful work on the wall hanging. Love that you've made it out of corrugated cardboard. The colors are just as sweet as can be your coloring of course is awesome. Hope you have a blast at the end of the month at the aquarium

Shelby

Sue Lelli said...

Your DD is going to LOVE this wall hanging! So many FAB details and LOVE went into this, TFS!

Mynn xx said...

Oh this is too cute! That image is darling and your coloring is superb! Lucky you--have fun and happy birthday to your daughter!!! :)

Allison Cope said...

Wonderful summer inspired card Cheryl Lea! Thanks for playing along with us at Flourishes!

Theresa said...

Cheryl this is gorgeous! Wow I love all the things that are going on in your hanging. Who would've ever thought that corrugated cardboard could be so beautiful. Love image and beautifully colored.

Have a great time at the Aquarium.

Conniecrafter said...

Awwww this is so sweet, terrific coloring and I like the idea of using the corrugated cardboard for the base. Your flower is beautiful!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!! :)

I love the cute image and how you designed your hanging! I for one, love, love that corrugated cardboard and that perfectly coloring you used on your image :)

Thank you for joining us in Flourishes Timeless Tuesday!!
~ Amanda :)

Sarah said...

This is just adorable Cheryl, love the soft colours. Thank you for sharing with us at Whimsy Stamps for our Anything Goes challenge x

stampqueen said...

Totally pinkalicious adorable!!!

mimibricole said...

this card is full of love... it's so lovely!
hope your DD will have a blast for her birthday!
thanks for sharing your card with us at cupcake craftroom