Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust

Monday, July 23, 2012

Happy Monday, Friends! I hope your week is getting off to a great start. I'm starting off the week in my craft room, so I'm a happy girl, today! One of my nieces is having a baby girl soon, and I found out that she is decorating the nursery in a Tinkerbell theme, using pinks and purples. I just happened to have a cute Tink digi image, so I went to work, to make a nursery wall hanging that would double as my baby shower card.


This project took me longer than anything I've ever worked on, but I think all my time was worth it. That said, this is a fairly long post, and very photo heavy. :)






Both The Shabby Tea Room and Stampin' For the Weekend had spectacular photos for inspiration. I just love all the girliness in them. 


I decided right away that I was going to use Prima's Fairy Flora paper pack and a Vintage Damask digi paper, so that part was easy. But, finding a sketch wasn't, because I wanted to use several different papers and didn't want to cover them up too much.   I tried several sketches, and this one, from the Simon Says Stamp Challenge this week was perfect!






My sewing machine has a lot of built-in stitches that I've never used, so I thought I'd try one out here. Being a fairy project, a leaf stitch seemed like a good choice. I used a meandering stitch on the bg paper, and alternated between zig zag and straight stitch on the vertical panel.


While I had my sewing machine going, I took some wide lime green tulle ribbon, folded about a third of it over, then stitched down the center to make a ruffle for the bottom of the wall hanging. I adhered the mini pompom trim and the tulle ruffle with Scor-Tape.


Every little girl needs lots of sparkle in her bedroom, so I used Stickles on Tink's wings, shoes, eyes, and the edges of the flowers. 

The white dots around the "Hello Baby" sentiment are Liquid Pearls. The yellow center on the pearl flowers are dots of yellow Liquid Pearls, too.


If you've read my blog very long, you know I love making my own rub-ons with transparencies. All the sentiments on the project, except for the Flourishes Hello Baby stamp, were made in Word, printed on transparencies, and rubbed onto the cs. I could just print directly onto the cs, but I prefer the look of rub-ons because it looks more like a stamp.


I like decorating the back of my wall hangings so they double as a card. For this one, I used the Vintage Damask digital dp again, in green and in violet. I paper pierced the edge of the die cut, stamped a Heidi Grace flower, added my rub on quote and sentiment, distressed the green dp, added another Heidi Grace corner stamp, inked the edges, then glued it all down. Oh, and I've learned to add the eyelets to the back layer of the wall hanging and to thread my ribbon through, before adhering the decorative front. It hangs much better that way, and I prefer not seeing the eyelets from the front most of the time.


The flourish stamp at the bottom of the project came from a Heidi Grace set that I won in a Color Throwdown Challenge/Blog Hop. Check out the blog candy I received from DT member, Wanda Cullen! Thanks, again, Wanda!













Here are a couple of photos of what I've been spending my time on lately: making doll clothes! My DD is thrilled with them, but, MAN, are they time consuming!








Thanks for stopping by and hanging with me until the end! ;) Have a wonderful week!

I'd like to enter my wall hanging card project in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp: Dawny's Sketch
Flourishes Bring Back Beautiful BBB24: The Beauty of Winged Things
The Shabby Tea Room Week #124: 'Oh-So Pretty in Pink'
Cute Card Thursday Challenge #226: Fairy Nice
Moving Along With the Times Challenge: We Are In the Pink (Pink, Pearly, and Pretty Celebration)
Whimsy Stamps Challenge #48: Punches and Edgers
Crazy 4 Challenges C4C146: Stitching--Faux or Real
Fat Pages & Cards With Attitude #18: Anything Goes
The Poodles Parlour: Use a Digi Stamp
Stampin' For the Weekend #14: Photo Inspiration
Digi Doodle Shop Challenge #117: Anything Goes
Sentimental Sundays #112: Things With Wings
Color Me Creative Challenge #48: Anything Goes With a Girly Twist
Totally Gorjuss Challenge #141: Leaf It In!

~Hugs!
 
Stamps: Little Honey's Tinkerbell (Sassy Studio Designs); Hello Baby (Flourishes); Wild Daisy Road (Heidi Grace)
Paper: Fairy Flora (Prima); Vintage Damask Digital Paper (Print Candee)
Ink: Copic markers; Distress Ink; Colorbox
Dies: Fancy Tags Two, Labels One, Floral Doily Accent, Labels 25, Classic Scalloped Circles Sm, Bird Flourishes (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Abstract Flower Edge Punch (EK Success); tulle ribbon; mini pompom trim; satin ribbon; rhinestones; pearls; eyelets; flowers; Stickles; Liquid Pearls; sewing thread; foam dots; Distrezz-It-All; some sentiments created in Word.
Size: 6-3/4" x 8"
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

21 comments :

Tammy said...

Fabulous! Love the sentiment, so perfect for a little girl! Great doll clothes, too! Thanks for joining us this week at the Digi Doodle Shop Challenge!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is fantastic, such cute image and love the sparkle, terrific stitching, great way to get the most out of your machine. I can't believe you managed to do so many challenges with one project, Beautiful creation!

Sue Lelli said...

WOW! I LOVE the home made rub ons! Haven't seen that before! LOVE all the girly details and that green tulle made my heart swoon! FAB wall hanging Cheryl!

Shelby said...

Wowzer another amazing wall hanging! Love all of the intricate details and your niece will go gaga over this. And aren't you the talented chica being able to sew and all?!!

Shelby

Berit Synnøve said...

Wow, this is stunning ! Love all your gorgeous details and the colors.
Thanks for joining Digi Doodle Shop Challenge this week.
Hugs Berit

Theresa said...

Cheryl, this is gorgeous. Look at you and your bad self with the stitching. I'm still trying to get the bobbin wound!! I think this is just fabulous. So very adorable.

Lisa Carroll said...

Your card is gorgeous! So many lovely details... yoru coloring, the stitching.. it's wonderful! Thank you for playing laong in Dawny's Sketch challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog. :)

Jessi Fogan said...

SO WORTH IT! I love that leaf stitch, the ruffles & pompoms, and just the perfect amount of sparkle. Love that saying from Barrie, too - one of my favourites to have on a baby card.
Those clothes are incredible! You must be going nuts with them, though - so small & fiddly!

Purple mad Alison said...

Ohhh that's so cute, I love all the detail you've put into this project. It's got so much going on it's adorable and I'm sure it'll be greatfully received.
Thanks for joining us over on Fat Pages With Attitude.
Be sure and come play again soon!
Hugs Alison x x

Starr said...

Beautifully done! Your stitching is amazing and the coloring on the stamp gorgeous! Yes, the time you spent was well worth it, wonderful creation. Thanks for joining us at TSTR!

Charlene said...

Wow great project. Lots of time spent on deals very beautifully done. Love the colors and the fairy. Thank you for taking the time to share and enter your project with us at Whimsy.

Andrea, said...

Beautiful project, thanks for joining in this week's CCT challenge.

Grandma Bonnie said...

Cheryl oh my wow! Look at you...the card and the details are gorgeous...and the doll clothes..super! (another thing we have in common..i love to sew and have been making doll clothes since i was in 1st grade)

Debs said...

Stunning wall hanging - so many gorgeous details.
Thanks for playing along with us at MAWTT this week.
Good luck.
Debs xx

~Tammy~ said...

That is totally precious! And look at you, so talent with making specialized doll clothes! I bet it's time consuming. Anything handmade with love always is! :-)))

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Wow! this is amazing, I love the image and the sentiment is fabulous and the stitched details are just so beautiful, thank you for joining in with the fat pages with attitude challenge
Lindsay xx

Melissa Craig said...

Super stunning wall-hanging. I love it. Your doll clothes turned out great. Great haul on that candy. I was hoping to win that one. I still haven't heard from the girl I won from.

Bettina L. said...

Fabolous card and I love the colours. Thanks for playing at Totally Gorjuss and good luck. Hope to see you back later today for a new challenge. Bettina xx

Anonymous said...

Amazing card, love that detailed stitching especially! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Sentimental Sundays!

Dana Joy said...

Oh this is such a pretty card. Thanks for playing with us at CMC.

Hugs
Dana

Ruby said...

What a sweet card, I love all the glitter you've added, it brings so much to the overall design! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at Color Me Creative!