Perfect

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hi Friends! I hope you've had a perfectly fabulous day. Me? I have literally worked on this little bitty card here ALL DAY LONG, and I am JUST A TAD TIRED OF IT! Don't get me wrong, I like the card...now. But, I've been looking at it in different stages of completion since this morning and it has been truly frustrating! 
 When I started this card early this morning, within 15 minutes I had all my papers chosen, cut, sewn, and adhered to the bg. I'm thinking, "I'll be finished with this in no time and be able to make another card today, too." NOT!

I used the Viva la Verve October 2011 Week 2 sketch, and while it is a simple, lovely sketch, it had me stumped!!! See where the heart is? I tried one thing after another there, including a heart, and I couldn't make myself like my choices. (On the up side, I have lots of die cuts and embellies ready for future cards.)  [I am also entering this card in the Dolce Stamps and Cards Challenge #4, to make a square card with one or more die cuts.]

The paisley dp didn't seem to be suitable for any kind of embellie--especially a heart. But, did I attempt to change the paper to help solve my problem? Noooo, of course not. That would have been too easy for me. Instead, I stubbornly stuck with it, thinking that nothing else would do. (It also did not occur to me at the time that I was operating off of five hours sleep out of the previous forty-eight. That thought might have saved me some grief.)

I fooled around with all kinds of possible solutions for an embellishment or die cut or something, until I was so irritated, I finally spilled half a bottle of embossing ink! What a mess! Luckily (or maybe not so lucky), it didn't get on the card that I'd already partially put together, and most of it stayed on my craft mat, so I was able to pour some of it back into the bottle. But, by this time, I had been at it for about 5 hours! Did I mention yet that I am STUBBORN to a fault! 8o|

Anywho, I had to go pick my DD up at school, so I took a short break. While I was gone, I had a conversation with myself. Yes, I do sometimes have two-sided conversations all by myself, but doesn't everybody, really? And, we I decided that when I got back home, I was going to just find something that was remotely the right size and color, stick it on the card and be done with it. So, I did. I just grabbed a flower from an old flower arrangement, tore it apart, added the button and twine and slapped that sucker on. Huh. What do you know? It worked. I actually liked it enough that I didn't want to throw the card in the trash. Not my best card ever, but not bad. 


The inside took me all of three minutes. I used the scraps from the die cuts that I used on the front of the card.

When I chose the inside sentiment, I was actually thinking that this would be good for a card for my daughter after a personal accomplishment at school or dance, or maybe just for a day when she cleaned her playroom enough to be able to walk in there without injuring herself on stray Legos or Barbie dolls. But, looking at the sentiment now, it looks like a message in a crystal ball. I think I subconsciously chose it to remind myself (maybe in one of my two-way chats later) not to obsess over little things so much, that maybe I might need to work on that small stubborn streak I have, and that I need to get more sleep. #-o 

Wow! Thanks for stopping by and letting me get all that off my chest. I feel better already--enlightened, even. You know, in the big scheme of things, today was actually a very, very good day, wasn't it?  LOL. I need to get a grip!

Have yourself a spectacular day!

~Hugs,   
 
Stamps: Sunny Days (Verve)
Paper: Whimsy Mat Stack (DCWV); vellum
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink; Colorbox
Dies: Birds and Branches (Sizzix); Classic Scalloped Cir Lg, Std Circles Lg (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Chipboard embellishment (K&Co); twine (The Twinery); flower; button; Glossy Accents; Liquid Pearls; Enamel Accents (Inkssentials); foam dots; sewing thread 
Size: 4.25" square
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

18 comments :

Shirley said...

Wow! Cheryl, your bird and flower are sensational and the card is to cheerful and pretty too!

Gerry said...

Very bright and cheerful. The bird and flower are just right touch. Your blogs always brighten my day.

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Loved your blog today! It made me smile...and reminded me that we all have our "2-way" conversations! Some of the best I've had, by the way! :) your card turned out fabulous!
Mackie

Rosemary said...

your card is beautiful...

Kristii said...

What a gorgeous card!!! Love the sweet little bird and the inside is just as beautiful as the outside!! Fabulous!

Audrey Pettit said...

You are crackin' me up, Cheryl! But I so know how you feel when a project doesn't turn out the way you envision. I had one the other day that I had almost completed when I decided I didn't like the stuff I had sewn down......so I ripped it all off, tore the piece, but was stubborn enough to keep going with it. :) We crafters are a tenacious group. And after all that, your card is just adorable. I love the bird and branch and love the round die cuts. the flower works really well, too.

Mona Pendleton said...

So sweet Cheryl! Love the little blue bird!

Melissa said...

Decisions! Decisions! Your post makes me laugh!!! :) I can totally see myself in it! LOL! There are some days I spend WAY too long on the simplest of cards just because I over analyze every little thing on it!! It's utterly exhausting! :o) I think your card turned out beautifully despite all that! It's gorgeous!!!

Ellen Taylor said...

This is just gorgeous!! Love the design! Your card fits the Dolce Stamps and Cards Challenge this week, use at least one die cut on a square card. We would be tickles if you joined us!! TFS!

Cindy Haffner said...

BEAUTIFUL Cheryl!!~ I LOVE all your details!!

Karen B. said...

I think the final result of your card is fantastic. Each element is perfectly placed, the colors are wonderful, you should be proud! (I talk a lot to myself as well, especially regarding crafty things)

jkreucher said...

WOW! what a great design.. Love your colors, fun stitching and sweet bling! Awesome!
So glad you joined us in the Dolce Stamps and Cards Challenge!
Judy

Dolce Impressions said...

Wow you did a lot of different elements to this card but they work together great job. I hate when it takes all day and all you get is one card. Thanks for joining us at Dolce Stamps and Cards Square Card and Die Cut Challenge.

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my! And it turned out so lovely! The papers and colors are beautiful, and the flower and bird are just perfect. I really like how you place the pearls to accent the word embellie, and your Liquid Pearls around the circle die are flawless. Hard to tell they're not real pearls. Sometimes I spend an unbelievable amount of time on a card and then I kick myself for not walking away sooner.

Cindy said...

beautiful I love all the diffferent elements to this stunning card.
Thanks for playing along with us at Dolce Stamps and cards.
Cindy

Pauline said...

Cheryl, this is a beautiful card, love the bird and branch die cut, and the paisley paper is beautiful! We all have days that you have experienced, I quite often need to 'have a word with myself' as we say here! One of my most frustrating cards took me 3 days to complete, as I had to just keep walking away! Now when I come across it in my stash, I roll my eyes lol! Still, this beauty was worth all your effort, it's a stunner!

Joan Ervin said...

Ooooh, how pretty and artsy....love the colors and papers you used and what gorgeous details!!! I especially like the bird, branch and awesome flower!!!!

Cindy said...

beautiful in every way. Thanks for joining us on this Dolce stamps and Cards challenge.