Birds on a Box

Tuesday, November 8, 2011


Happy Tuesday, Friends! I've got a fun project to share with you today--a secret box! Heather Perreaux has put together a wonderful tutorial here, at Splitcoaststampers. I followed it almost exactly except I added a magnet to help it stay closed.

 


This box is so much easier than it looks (the hardest part was coloring the three images), but I recommend that you watch the video tutorial. Some of the written instructions are a little unclear, and there are not any templates to print off. You can enlarge the ones on the tutorial, but they become so blurry, it's hard to read them. [NOTE: I have since found a pdf of Heather's templates here.]


  

  
I added a magnet inside the middle shelf, toward the front, and another against the left opening, to hold the box closed a little better. You can see it in these two photos. Be careful, though, that the magnets aren't too strong! :) I ended up having to use one strong magnet and one weaker one. I've got two Ghirardelli Squares in each shelf in this photo.

The image is one from Flourishes, from the set, Christmas Classics. I was a little worried about having to color three identical images, since Copics aren't my strongest talent, but it ended up being easy peasy, after all.

This is my first Secret Box, but I know it won't be my last.

I'll be entering this in a few challenges:

Crazy 4 Challenges 112: Wrap it up! (Make a gift, box, bag, gift card holder, etc.)
Heart Song Inspiration #23: Anything Goes
Dolce Stamps and Cards: Square Card & Die Cut Challenge #04--It's not a card, but it is square and has die cuts :)

Thanks for stopping by, and have a fabulous day!
 
Stamps: Christmas Classics (Flourishes)
Paper: Circa 1934 (Cosmo Cricket)
Ink: Copic Markers, Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Dies: Beaded Circles, Std Circles Lg (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Liquid Pearls, foam dots, magnets
Size: 3" cube
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

14 comments :

Dolce Impressions said...

Wow you are right it is square and i love it. I have seen these boxes but haven't tried on myself, it's nice to hear they aren't to bad to make. I love Birds in snow it makes winter seem brighter. Great job and thanks for playing twice with Dolce Stamps and Cards Square Card and Die Cut Challenge.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
wooooooooooooooooow, wonderful, great. I love it.
Sorry, I'm German. :-)
Liebe Grüße Gaby

Shirley said...

Now that is quite a keeper, Cheryl! How very very lovely to look at and handy to have to little keepsakes!

Jinny Newlin said...

This box is AMAZING, Cheryl! Wow! Beautiful coloring job, and I'm still in awe over the design!

Sue Lelli said...

Cheryl, what a unique box with the drawers! And how GENIUS to use that magnet! LOVE the cardinal and the colors! FAB creation!

Audrey Pettit said...

My goodness, what a cool box design! And such gorgeous stamping! This is fabulous, Cheryl!

Maria said...

What a beautiful box, Cheryl! Those cardinals are colored perfectly! A fabulous design to keep anything in...mmm...especially treats!

Cindy Haffner said...

Cheryl how BEAUTIFUL is this!!~

Cindy said...

beautiful cheryl

Jeanne J. said...

Cheryl great project! Your coloring is lovely and the box is awesome!!

Theresa said...

How fabulous is this?? What beautiful image too. Well done lady!!

wendy said...

whow how beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

What a gorgeous and intricate box! I love this!

Marie said...

Cheryl this chocolate box is devine. Love the beautifully colored cardinals. It looks hard to me!