TMS #165: Trust Your Crazy Ideas

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hello Friends! I am so excited to share the project I made for today's Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge! As with the mini album I made a couple of weeks ago, I took a simple idea and went crazy with it.



My DT buddy, Theresa, came up with this fab sketch--an oval, two ribbon banners, and four stars, or other embellies. It's a well-balanced design, that, just as it is, would result in a fantastic card. I love that the oval is large enough to be able to accommodate just about any image you'd want to use, too.

That said, however, I don't seem to be able to stick with the plan these days! :)
See what I mean! I altered an inexpensive composition notebook, and all the basic elements are there...but so are LOTS of others!!! Of course, I have a great excuse--I just had to use some of the new goodies I picked up at the stamp convention. ;) Don't you just love that sentiment? Seemed perfect for an art journal.

The dragonfly stamp is from a Stampers Anonymous set called, Classics #1. Beautiful. But, as nice as that is, what I really want to show you is the background. I picked up some Dylusions Ink Sprays, and they are amazing. The colors are SO vivid! It's going to take some practice to get good at combining different colors, but I was pretty pleased with how this one turned out (after 3 previous tries went into the trash). :) Oh, and see that white diamond pattern on the left side? I used a stencil and sponged white ink there. As with most everything I do, I had no idea what it would look like when I did it, but I love the depth it added--it almost looks like a reflection on glass. I just love all the fun surprises I get when I'm crafting!

The "Faith" label, is new, too. It's from a Spellbinders die set called, Girlie Grunge Labels by Donna Salazar. I got lucky--it was in a sale bin for just $10! I've used several of the labels on this project. I cut and embossed them on white cs, and inked the letters while still in the die. I then used a different Distress Ink to color the bg of each one. After gluing the labels to the project, I added Glossy Accents to give them some dimension.

The dragonfly die cut is one I already had, but had never used. I inked it while in the die, but wasn't pleased at all with how it looked, so I spritzed it with Perfect Pearls Mist, and that fixed it right up. It's hard to tell here, but the dragonfly is raised in the center with a foam dot, and the wings are curved up slightly.



I think I'm hooked on stencils! The texts here are all from the same stencil, called Funky Words. I stenciled them, then doodled on them a little bit, with Stickles, a while gel pen, and Sharpie markers. You can also see more of the Girlie Grunge Labels, as well as a couple of the buttons I added. I used waxed linen thread in the buttons, and after attaching them to the front of the project, I separated the strands of the tails to give them a softer look.

I bought several MFT Die-namic Rolled Flower dies awhile back, and now I have some of their felt, too, thanks to Melissa, who visited their brick and mortar store and picked up a few colors for me. 8~D OMGosh, MFT felt cuts beautifully! I had been using some felt from Joann that doesn't have any wool in it, and it was almost impossible to get it to cut cleanly. The two blue flowers were cut out of Joann felt, the other two are from MFT felt. The edges of the MFT felt are noticeably crisp, while the Joann felt is fuzzy on the edges. I definitely need more MFT felt!

In this photo, you can also see a little bit of the spine of the book. Notice the crisp edge--no fraying? From my bookbinding days, I learned to use Heat n Bond on my fabric before applying glue. The Heat n Bond helps prevent fraying and also keeps the glue from seeping through the fabric.

I covered the back of the notebook, too. The paper is so pretty, I decided to let it do most of the work, and just added the one sentiment stamp--another convention find!

Here's one more look at the front, at an angle, so you can see all the dimension.

Now, it's your turn! Head on over to the Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge, see what the rest of the DT has to inspire you, then get creative! The prize this week comes from our awesome sponsor, There She Goes Stamps, which has everything from elegant to playful--both stamps and dies! Wouldn't it be great if you won? Well, you can't if you don't play, so get busy!!!

Thanks for stopping by today, and have a wonderful, crafty week!

I'd like to enter this project in the following challenges:
Creative Craft Challenges 2: Anything Goes
Fab & Funky Challenge #139: Things With Wings
Digi Doodle Shop Final Challenge #125: Anything Goes
Do You Stack Up #90: Flags
Fat Pages & Cards With Attitude #23: Anything Goes
Simply Create Too #22: Anything Goes
Stampin' For the Weekend #18: Feeling Floral
Whimsy Inspirations Challenge #51: Anything Goes
MilkCoffee Challenge: At Least 2 Different Shapes
Crafting For All Seasons Challenge #36: Things With Wings
Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge: For the Love of Sparkle

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Classics #1, Admit One (Stampers Anonymous); The Right Words (Dylusions)
Paper: Abrianna (K&Co)
Ink: Distress Ink; Memento; Colorbox; white gel pen; Sharpie markers; Dylusions Ink Spray
Dies: Labels Three, Floral Ovals, Marvelous Squares, Girlie Grunge Labels: Donna Salazar, Flying Beauties (Spellbinders); Circle Border (Memory Box); Rolled Daisy, Rolled Mum, Mini Royal Roses, Royal Leaves, Loopy Blooms (My Favorite Things Die-namics Dies)
Accessories: Mini Harlequin stencil (TCW); Funky Words stencil (Wendy Vecchi-Studio 490); Fabric; Heat n Bond; felt (MFT Stamps & Joann); sanding block; Mod Podge; waxed linen thread; Mini Round Gems (Recollections); buttons; foam dots; Glossy Accents; Stickles; Pearl Pen; Perfect Pearls Mist; composition book; Scor-Tape
Size: 7.5" x 9.75" 
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

26 comments :

Carla S. said...

Fabulous altered notebook, Cheryl! I have to keep looking to see all the amazing details! Very artistic design!

Unknown said...

That is just beautiful - love all the details

kitten - DYSU team

Unknown said...

Wow! This is stunning! The color scheme is gorgeous. I love purples and greens together. So inspiring! Thank you for joining us this week at DYSU!

Shelby said...

Look how lush and gorgeous this is! Absolutely beautiful work, love the color palette and all of the layers of inks and stamps is perfect!

Shelby

WencheP said...

Fabulous creation and so colorful. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Rach83 said...

Ooh this is a feast for the eyes! I love all the layers and interesting bits and pieces. Your colours are wonderful too.

Thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky Challenges.

Rachel x

Bernie said...

Wow! This is stunning Cheryl! I simply LOVE the colors and all the amazing details! I can't keep looking at it. Fantastic work!
Hugs
Bernie

Bernie said...

I meant to say Can't STOP looking at it.

Purple mad Alison said...

WOW!!! That's a fabulous creation, I love all the detail you've put into it <3
Thanks for joining us over on Fat Pages With Attitude.
Hugs Alison x x

Angela said...

This is REALLY COOL!!! Love your great mix of embellies and the fun collage style!

Erica said...

What a gorgeous project. So much going on. We're glad you submitted to Simply Create Too. Join us again soon.
Erica (Simply Create Too DT Member)

Maria said...

Wow!!! Awesome notbebook! So interesting and beautiful with so much detail and lovely color! It's a stunning piece of art...love it!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow this is just fantastic, love every detail, great colors, neat layering of dies!

Laura said...

This is gorgeous Cheryl - too pretty to write in!! Looks like it took a long time to put together, but lots of fun too!

NancyD said...

Such fantastic details and wonderful work. Thanks for joining us this week at Creative Craft Challenge. NancyD

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE all of the details on this art journal, Cheryl! All that YUMMY felt and the words! SIGH! Looks like you had FUN at convention!!!

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

Wow!!I really loved this altered notebook.So many elements...and the beautiful colours.
Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week.
Hugs
Archana

Julie said...

Wow - this is super!! I love those flowers - they look amazing!

Thanks for joining us at Stampin' For The Weekend for our Feeling Floral challenge.

Hugs

Julie x

Yoshiras time to craft said...

Beautiful journal.Love the colors and elements.Thanks for joining us at Milkcoffee stamps two shapes challenge.

Jessi Fogan said...

Congrats on your DYSU win :) So well-deserved! Love all the amazing details - and especially the dragonflies. I *heart* dragonflies ;)

Heather Rogers said...

Love how you altered the cover. Those felt flowers are my favorite. :)

Hugs~

Suzanne C said...

Lovely Swirls of colors and beautiful details! Love that touch of glitter in the word interesting. Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Grandma Bonnie said...

Oh, man this is so cool, i totally didn't know it was a journal cover..i just thought it was this awesome card!

Dawn said...

OMG! It is so gorgeous I can't decide where to look first. Amazing work Cheryl!

Carol said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining us at CFAS this time. Carol DT x

nwilliams6 said...

I wish I had gone to convention with you! Wow - what great finds and this came out wonderfully! I love the main sentiment on the front and the sentiment on the back - they are both inspiring to me. Fun, fun, fun.