White Elephant Ornament and Gift Box

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Happy Thursday! Do you have any annual Christmas traditions that you enjoy? I have a few, and a favorite is the annual Christmas luncheon I go to with a group of friends I've known since grammar school. We call ourselves the Pink Panthers because our school mascot was a panther and "pink" is because we aren't old enough for the Red Hat Club...yet. 8~D  I'll be seeing this fabulous group of ladies this coming Saturday, and as part of our tradition, we will be having a white elephant ornament exchange. If you've never participated in a white elephant exchange, you should get some friends or family together and try it. Who knew stealing from your friends could be so much fun!!!

I usually buy an ornament for the exchange, and it's always fun searching for just the right ornament, but this year I decided to make one. The Outlines Monday Challenge 28--"Hang It Up" is to make an ornament, so the timing is perfect. As an added bonus, I made a matching gift box, too.


I used the Jewel Topper stamp from Outlines Rubber Stamp Co, stamping the design once on olive cs and once on burgundy cs. I cut the designs out, cutting more from the green cs, since I layered it on top of the burgundy cs. Using various colors of Stickles I gave it LOTS of holiday sparkle, and I added six rhinestones to the top layer. I used clear rhinestones and colored them with Copic markers to get the exact color I wanted. If you go to the Outlines website, they have a great tutorial on how to make this topper. I didn't follow it exactly, but it was still a big help.

The matching gift box is another Secret Box (I absolutely LOVE making these boxes!), but I only put the bottom tray in it this time. It's the perfect size for an ornament. I just have to tilt the ornament a little sideways and tuck the cardstock topper points in carefully. I decorated all four sides and the top with the same Jewel Topper stamp design. I trimmed the design after embossing it so that it would fit on the box panels. The dark yellow circular layer is a Classic Scalloped Circle die cut that I embossed with a Sizzix Damask embossing folder. Then, I sponged the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, and coated with a Mod Podge/glitter mixture. 

Since I only had one tray in the bottom of this box, I had to put the magnet there to hold the box closed. You can see it in the photo on the left, below. I was afraid it wouldn't work right if it wasn't in the center of the box, but it holds fine there.


 
This ornament was fun to make and it turned out so pretty. I have plenty of ornaments for my tree, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to make a few more of these to add to my collection. I'd also like to make a few of these sets to keep on hand for gifts. Whew! I'm going to need more hours in my days! 
Thanks for stopping by, and have a fantastic day!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Jewel Topper (Outlines Rubber Stamp Co.)
Paper: Kraft, Burgundy, Olive Green, & Dark Yellow cardstock
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink; clear embossing ink (Inkssentials); Copic markers (E29, RV69)
Dies: Classic Scalloped Circles Sm (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Ornament; gold embossing powder (Zing); Mod Podge; Glitter (Martha Stewart); rhinestones; Damask embossing folder (Sizzix); gems (Studio 112); Stickles (gold, diamond, lime green, burgundy, cinnamon, copper); foam dots
Size: Box--3" cube
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

10 comments :

Gerry said...

What fun!! Very pretty and unique ornament. Love the box

Maria said...

Wow! What a bejeweled beauty this is, Cheryl! Am sure the receiver of this lovely Christmas bulb will be thrilled! Have fun with the pink panthers...hehehe...too cute! Take care, hugs!

TesaB said...

Ohhh WOW! This is sooooo beautiful! Love this, Cheryl!!!!

Pauline said...

What a stunning ornament and box Cheryl! Love the rich warm colours, and the clever design!

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Your ornament is gorgeous and the box is so cool ! Love the colours.

Kristii said...

Wow!!! What a beautiful project!!! I love how you totally transformed the plain old ornament!!! Fabulous!

Stacy Morgan said...

This is gorgeous, what a clever idea and love the matching box. I am sure whoever got this loved it.

Shirley said...

Wow, Cheryl, what a really beautiful gift and box for someone! What a really wonderful keepsake!

Shannon White said...

Oh Wow Miss Cheryl! This is Lovely! Anyone would be thrilled to have it! I can see it getting stolen a few times.. lol White elephant gift exchanges are so much fun.. 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

P.S> thanks so much for all your kind comments! 8-)

Jenny Gropp said...

Cheryl! This is so beautiful, especially with the little secret box! Elegant and more! So glad you played along with the Outlines Challenge this week!