Elegant Paisley Case Bound Journal

Saturday, November 28, 2015

A case bound book is the kind of book most people are used to seeing. It's also the first kind of book I learned to make many years ago. I like case bound books because of the sturdy supported spines and more "finished" look, especially when you add in hand sewn headbands, which I've done in this example.   
Size: 4.25" x 5.50"
# of Sections: 12, with 4 folios in each
# of Pages: 192
Stitches: Coptic, Kettle, Long over tapes
Closure: None
Cover Material: Cotton Fabric
Thread: Linen (textblock); Silk (headbands)
I positioned the fabric so that the design would be centered over the spine. Also, it's hard to make out in the photos, but there is a tremendous amount of gold sparkle in this fabric. Everywhere you see a golden brown outline is actually gold, glittering thread. 
I sewed a basic headband (often refered to as endbands) to the top and bottom of the spine using olive green and white colored silk threads. Most headbands nowadays are just decorative--a strip of fabric with a pre-sewn headband along one edge that is glued to the top and bottom of a text block. A handsewn headband, however, actually serves to reinforce the spine of a book, and it looks pretty, to boot.
The spine of the textblock is not glued to the case. Instead, the spine is "hollow," so that the pages can operate independently of the case.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! I hope you've enjoyed all the books I've posted recently. There will be many more to come in the future--I'm sure! ;)

~Hugs,
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

1 comment :

Leslie Miller said...

Cheryl, I have just finished looking at all your books and read the posts. I'm stunned at the quality and quantity you produce. You have me most intrigued. One would never think these were made in your craft room. They would make incredible gifts for Christmas or any occasion. I'm glad to know that book binding soothes your soul.