Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge #146: Sunny Days

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hello Friends! I'm back with another Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge! DRS Designs is our sponsor this week, and they generously sent me a couple of really cute, high-quality stamps to work with. I'm excited to show you what I did with them.


Melissa's sketch, this week, was a serious challenge for me. I'm more comfortable making cards with lots of layers, and all that blank space was a little bit scary. But, I persevered, and I really like the end result. It certainly helped that I had such a great stamp to use. ;)

The first thing you may notice is that my card is missing those two little squares in the corner. Well, I flipped the sketch upside down and used two circles instead of squares. I also used my Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol, rather than Copics. I've been wanting to color on kraft with pencils for awhile, and these stamps were perfect for it. And, what fun! I'll definitely be coloring on kraft again soon!

The light blue butterfly is part of the main image stamp, but the other butterflies were another single stamp. Rather than stamp them all together, I inked them one at a time so I could spread them across the scene, then I colored them and added Stickles to their wings. The sentiment is a Verve stamp.



I loved making the fence white because it's so striking against kraft cs. I used Sparkly Fluff for the centers of the flowers. It's always fun making a card that begs to be touched. :) After I finished coloring the main image, and before adding Stickles and Sparkly Fluff, I used my Stamp-a-m-a-jig to re-stamp the image over the coloring to give it a crisper look.



For the sun, I embossed a piece of pale yellow cs with a swirly design, inked up the raised areas with Scattered Straw Distress Ink, punched two circles from it, then sponged Walnut Stain lightly around the edges of the circles. I used a Bird Flourish Spellbinders die for the dark yellow flourish and added a few rhinestones and streaks of Stickles to it for sparkle.

See the butterflies in the upper right corner of the inside? That's the stamp that I used on the front of the card for the butterflies. It's nice that they are arranged so that you can stamp them as a group or split them up. Both the butterflies and the flowers in the lower corner were stamped in Versamark ink.

Alrighty, folks, it's your turn, now! Head on over to the Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge blog and check out the fab inspiration by the rest of the DT, then show us your interpretation of the sketch. I can't wait to see what you create!

I'll be entering this card in the following challenges:
Crafty Friends Challenges #3: Inspiration
Crazy 4 Challenges C4C136: Photo inspiration
Do You Stack Up DYSU#71: Use a Flower
Flourishes Bring Back Beautiful BBB22: Beauty of the Garden

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

~Hugs!
 
Stamps: Flower Fence with Butterflies, Four Corner Butterfly (DR Designs); Sunny Days (Verve)
Ink: Staz-On; Memento; Distress Ink; Versamark
Dies: Bird Flourishes, Labels One (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Daisy Edge Punch (Martha Stewart); 1-1/4" circle punch (EK Success); Regal Flourishes embossing folder (Sizzix); colored pencils (Prismacolor); rhinestones; Sparkly Fluff; Stickles; Shimmer Spritz; sewing thread
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

19 comments :

Kathy said...

Cheryl, what a great take on the sketch, so cool. Really like the look of coloring on kraft, too. Beautifully done card!

Carla S. said...

Beautiful card, Cheryl! Great take on the sketch! Wonderful image and terrific coloring on Kraft!

Marie said...

Leave it to creative you to turn the sketch upside down! Ingenious interpretation of the sketch. Love the colored images on Kraft, this is one of my favorite techniques.

Theresa said...

Cheryl, this is just awesome! I love the circles and the image is just beautiful. I love the bird houses and the fence. What amazing coloring. Such beautiful work as always.

Dawn said...

So beautiful Cheryl! Love the white fence on the kraft. So cool!

Beate said...

Cheryl, your card is beautiful, inside and out. I love how you stamped on Kraft with Pencils.
Thanks so much for participating in the Crafty Friends Challenge.
Hugs and smiles

Jessi Fogan said...

Gorgeous colouring! I've got to try this :) Super cool take on the sketch, and I love the Fluff for the flowers. Touchy-feely cards are the best!

Conniecrafter said...

Love how you changed up the sketch, I did not know you could use gamsol on kraft, another thing I want to try now :) Like you said the fence does pop against that kraft, great sparkle and texture added to it!

Melissa Craig said...

Fabulous card Cheryl. The fence is so striking! The white against the Kraft looks great. And I love that you flipped the sketch upside down, wonderful interpretation.

PS - please email me.

Sue Lelli said...

Cheryl, LOVE your coloring and that sunmade of flourishes is so eye-catching! GREAT card!

Audrey Pettit said...

Adorable! Love that image and love the stamping on kraft!

Jenny said...

Hi Cheryl! Thank u for the sweet comment on my blog! I love your take on this sketch and your coloring is amazing :)

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

This is ADORABLE! THanks for playing along!

Pauline said...

This is gorgeous Cheryl, I love the coloured images on kraft, and the touch of sparkle!
THanks for joining us at DYSU this week!

Shelby said...

Stunning work with the pencils! you've nailed it

Shelby

Kathy Jones said...

This is such an adorable garden creation!!! Thanks so much for playing the Bring Back Beautiful Challenge!!! :)

Betty Wright said...

Cheryl, this is wonderful! Love the contrast with the kraft background. Very striking! Thanks so much for playing Flourishes Bring Back Beautiful Challenge!

Edna Morrisedie said...

Love the scene, and all the colour on the neutral background looks great!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Ooooh! Colouring on kraft paper brings out the image so fabulously! Great job! Thanks so much for joining us for a Bring Back Beautiful challenge this month :)