Happy Bird-Day

Friday, May 18, 2012

Hello Friends! Well, today was the last day of school here, and my daughter is soooo happy! Truth be told, I'm pretty happy about that, too. It will be nice to just hang out around here with her, with no schedule to keep for awhile. I'm really lucky that my daughter is the type of kid who is fun to be around, so having her with me all day is a treat.

The card I want to share with you today is a birthday card for a child. Kids cards are not my forte, but I keep trying.

For this one, I used a new set of stamps that I recently won from Paper Smooches in a Simon Says Stamp challenge. I have wanted to try Paper Smooches stamps for awhile because the cards I've seen them on are always so cute, and with several kids parties coming up for us soon, I knew they would be perfect! Thanks, Kim! I love my new stamps!!!













For my inaugural Paper Smooches card, I decided to play along with the Paper Smooches Sparks Challenge (I flipped the horizontal image upside down), and I used the Color Throwdown #192 colors.


The sketch was perfect for a bird on a wire-type image. I added the pink pine needles simply because I just bought the punch and couldn't wait to use it for something. :)


Isn't that bird the cutest! I colored it with my Copics, then added Sparkly Fluff for texture. I first used a light pink Sparkly Fluff, but the glitter in it made the bird look a little dirty. So, I added the darker pink over that, and loved it. That's Stickles on the beak and hat, and the eyes are a little googly with Glossy Accents.

I used an Our Craft Lounge stamp for the inside sentiment and the Abstract Flower punch was another recent purchase I was itching to use. Before gluing the white layer to the pink layer, I masked all but the punched area and used distress inks to color the flowers, then after gluing it down, I added Stickles for more sparkle. 

I'll be entering this card in the following challenges:

Thanks for stopping by! I'll be back in a little while with a more masculine kid's birthday card.

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Birthday Buddies (Paper Smooches); Big Birthday Wishes (Our Craft Lounge)
Ink: Memento; Distress Ink; Colorbox; Copic markers
Dies: Nested Lacey Pennants (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Designer Pine punch (McGill); Abstract Flower edge punch (EK Success); Polka Dots embossing folder (Cuttlebug); buttons; twine (The Twinery); Sparkly Fluff (Our Craft Lounge); Stickles; Glossy Accents; foam dots
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

8 comments :

Jessi Fogan said...

KIds cards are hard! I love this one - the crazy fluffy bird on a wire? Awesome :)

Kimberly said...

I love your fluffy bird on a wire! I really like how you doubled the baker's twine "wires". Thanks so much for playing along with the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge!

Shelby said...

Love these clean lines. The glitterly fluff looks fantastic and adore how yo've done the "wire"! Great design

Shelby

Ashley H said...

This is cute. I love that you made the bird sparkly.

Tammy Hershberger said...

Very cute, Cheryl! Love what you did with these colors! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown!

Patrice said...

Love the sparkly fluff! Great use of the colors - I'd love for you to link up with me at 52 Card Pickup this week!

http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/05/52-card-pickup-week-20.html

Mandy said...

Gorgeous CAS card Cheryl, I love the added texture on the cute little bird.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs Mandy xx

Joan Ervin said...

What a super cute card...the little bird with the sparkly fluff is adorable!!! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown!!!