Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge #138: One In a Melon

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hello Friends! It's time for another awesome Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge (TMS138), and you are going to love this one. Our sponsor this week is The Stamping Boutique, and our own Kathy Curry has created a wonderful sketch, full of possibilities--no matter which way you turn this sketch it looks fab!
I turned it on it's side for a birthday card.
This card was so much fun to make--especially coloring that watermelon with my Copics. It's from the Wild for Watermelon stamp set from Flourishes. And, that scrap of red dp was not only the perfect watermelon color, it also has a "watermelonish" texture in the design. I used the out of the box technique to cut the oval around the watermelon and leave the leaf intact. I stamped the sentiment and some watermelon seeds on another oval and covered the seeds in Glossy Accents, then paper pierced that oval. The fork stamp is from the watermelon set, and I use a D'Vine Swirl embossing folder for the green cs.

After coloring the red part of the watermelon, I dampened a paper towel with colorless blender and laid it gently on it, creating a textured look, then I used Glossy Accents on the seeds.

The inside of the card was originally very basic, however...

...when applying the black Enamel Accent dots to the inside of the card, I got a blob in the upper left corner of the Labels One die cut. I tried to repair it, but soon realized I was making it worse, so I stamped the salt shaker from the same watermelon stamp set, put Glossy Accents on the "glass" and Stickles on the salt, then cut it out and glued it in the corner, and TaDa! No more blob!

To balance things, I stamped one of the watermelon slices, colored it, used the same paper towel technique here that I did on the front of the card, put Glossy Accents on the seeds and glued it in the opposite corner. The green dots behind the salt and slice are from the In Flight stamp set from Our Craft Lounge. The Happy Birthday sentiment is from the Say It Big stamp set, also from Our Craft Lounge.

That's it for my card. But, you can head on over to Tuesday Morning Sketches for more inspiration from the rest of the DT. All the details of the sketch challenge are there.

I can't wait to see what you create!!!

I'll be playing along with these challenges too:
Crazy 4 Challenges 128 (C4C128): Use Green
Do You Stack Up Challenge #63: use your Favorite Color (mine is GREEN!)
Cute Card Thursday Challenge 208: Happy Birthday
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: A Bit O' Green: Use Green
Whimsy Stamps Challenge 30: Emboss It! Wet or Dry Embossing

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a wonderful day!

~Hugs!
 
Stamps: Wild for Watermelon (Flourishes); In Flight, Say It Big (Our Craft Lounge)
Paper: Best of K&Co; Que Sera Sera (K&Co); Origins Paper Pad (Basic Grey)
Ink: Distress Ink; Memento; Copic Markers
Dies: Classic Ovals Lg, Labels One (Spellbinders)
Accessories: D'Vine Swirls embossing folder (Cuttlebug); ribbon (Michaels); pearls; Glossy Accents; Stickles; Enamel Accents; paper piercer
Size: 5.5" square
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

29 comments :

May said...

WOW! what a beautiful birthday card, love that stamp, fabulous colours, gorgeous inside and out! Hugs May x x x x

Carla S. said...

Terrific card, Cheryl! Great design inside and out! Fantastic coloring of the yummy watermelon!

Melissa Craig said...

Wonderful! I love that this card is whimsical in a very classy way. I like the sketch flipped. Great job on your card.

Conniecrafter said...

Very cute, I love your coloring, it's fantastic and that sentiment is so cute! Great way to fix your mistake on the inside!

Beate said...

Cheryl, your card looks wonderful! Great take on the sketch!

Hugs and smiles

P.S.: I colored the image gray (on my post) so when I add the flower and something peeks through, it will look like shadow and no white is showing.

Gerry said...

Love this card Cheryl....whimsical and beautiful. Great job on the cover up.

Anonymous said...

Oh My! This is absolutely fantastic! Your colouring is superb, must try the colourless blender technique myself, love the effect!

Shannon White said...

Wow Miss Cheryl this is Fabulous! Love your Terrific coloring and love the glossy accents on the watermelon seeds! Your salt shaker is just Darling too! Never would have known it was covering up an oopsy, 8-) looks so Perfect! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Cheryl! That watermelon looks scrumptious and love the embossed background!

Marie said...

Delicious looking card, Cheryl. Great shading on the watermelon. Can't wait for a taste.

Heather Rogers said...

So sweet! You colored that Watermelon perfectly. :)

Hugs~

Unknown said...

Your gorgeous card made me check out the Tuesday Morning Sketch blog and I ended up playing along! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jessica G. said...

Awesome combination of elements, Cheryl! Your coloring is gorgeous and I absolutely love those seeds!! Fun, fun images!

lissy-hanne said...

Hej. Det var hyggeligt at besøge din blog, kommer hel sikkert igen.
klem

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow! What a gorgeous card, Cheryl! LOVE this!

Kathy said...

This is beautiful Cheryl. Really like the way you've colored the watermelon and textured the inside. Funny about the salt shaker, works perfectly to cover a boo boo. I always have them with my liquid pearls. Such a lovely take on the sketch.

Sue Lelli said...

Cheryl, LOVE that sentiment with the watermelon and that shaker of salt! LOVE the colors you chose, too! GREAT card!

Kelly L said...

This is truly beautiful, Cheryl! I was drawn to this card right away. I love how you kept the colors of the watermelon as your focal point and glad to hear I am not the only one that has "blob" accidents (usually right when I am just about done). We wouldn't have even noticed, but thanks for telling us your story - makes us all realize that we all have moments like those :) Kelly

Joan Ervin said...

You have colored the watermelon image beautifully, Cheryl, and the sentiment is so fun....Love how you designed the inside, too!!! This is such an awesome birthday card!!!!

Leslie Miller said...

This turned out great! This set is on my "must use again soon" list. I love how you fixed up the inside. Sometimes those boo boos have the best outcomes!

krcmasterpiece said...

I'm loving your watermelon stamps! Makes me feel that summer breeze!

danemi1 said...

thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog - really lovely - made my day you did!

What an awesome blog you have and soooo love your card - have never tried copics - have got pro and flexi markers and so far am loving them but wow wow wow - your whole style is fab!

Heather said...

Came from Tuesday Morning sketches. I found it pretty funny that I happened to create my card with the same theme as you and I didn't see your card up close until coming back to leave comments for all the DT's. I used a watermelon with the same type of sentiment, but with a different stamp company. Pretty crazy!! Yours looks better than mine though!! LOL

Maria said...

Super cute card, Cheryl! Love the watermelon with sentiment Great embossing and lovely colors! Fabulous card inside and out! Take care and have a wonderful weekend, hugs!!:-))

Theresa said...

Hi Cheryl, what a fabulous card...it is definitely a hit!! I love the sentiment. As always lady - great work!!

Shelby said...

Gorgeous card and just absolutely beautiful shading and highlighting with your coloring.

Shelby

Linda Anderson said...

This is a fabulous card!!!! I adore everything about it. And hooray to you for finding a way of covering up the oops.

Linda

Dawn said...

Cheryl, this is delicious! Love everything about it! Makes me wish it was summer already.

Donna Heber said...

Wonderful birthday card Cheryl! Just love that watermelon image.