Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge #136: Sweet & Sassy

Tuesday, March 6, 2012


Happy Tuesday, Friends! Yes, happy is a good word for Tuesday because it's time for a new Tuesday Morning Sketch (TMS136). This week's sponsor is Guylou's Inimitability Digistamps, and our very own Marie designed the sketch.
I used the Eve digistamp, and Eve reminds me of the 1970's, with her bellbottoms and giant dangly loop earrings. I had the perfect paper--Hippie Chic, from DCWV--so I decided to paper piece at least part of her outfit. You would think paper piecing would be difficult with a digital stamp, but it's not. For this image, I printed Eve onto a piece of white cs to use as my base. Then I printed the image again onto white paper. I had a piece of cs that had strips of different dp's on one sheet, so I cut out the section I wanted to use, taped it to the white paper, lining up the dividing line between the two different dp patterns with the line on the image just above Eve's knees. I ran the paper back through the printer, printing the exact same image onto the patterned dp, and then cut out the pants from the dp. I did all my Copic coloring before attaching the pants to the image, and I used Copics to add a touch of shadow to the pants.

I used gold and silver Stickles for Eve's earrings and necklace, and for the rest of the card, I used dp from the same Hippie Chic stack. I just love the retro look! I mostly stuck to the sketch, but I really wanted to use the orange plaid cs on this card, so I trimmed my image as much as I could, and added the plaid as an extra layer to frame the image. It completely changed the look of the card, and brightened it up a lot. The "Sweet and Sassy" sentiment is from a Just Rite stamp set called, Topsy Turvy Cakes. I embossed the oval with a navy embossing powder, stamped the sentiment in orange, sponged a tiny bit of color around the inside of the embossed oval, then covered the entire area inside the embossed area with Glossy Accents.

For the inside, I punched a border from the orange plaid dp and attached it to the top of white cs, matted with navy. Then, I stamped a "sassy" birthday cake image and "Celebrate" sentiment (both from the Topsy Turvy set) in the lower right corner. I used a yellow Copic to add just a few bright touches to the flowers on the cake. This would make a great birthday card for a teenage girl, I think.

This is such a fun sketch, and a gift certificate from Guylou's Inimitability Digistamps is up for grabs! Don't you want to play along with us! :) For all the deets, and some fab inspiration from the rest of the team, head over to Tuesday Morning Sketches. You have until Sunday at 8:00 P.M. EST to link your creation. 

I can't wait to see what you create! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and have a great week!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Eve (Guylou's Inimitability Digistamps); Topsy Turvy Cakes (Just Rite Clear Stamps)
Paper: Hippie Chic (DCWV)
Ink: Copic Markers; Distress Ink; Memento
Dies: Classic Rectangle Large, Classic Scalloped Rectangle Large (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Postage Stamp Edge Punch (EK Success); embossing powder (Stampendous); ribbon; Glossy Accents; Stickles; foam dots
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

13 comments :

Carla S. said...

Great card, Cheryl! I love the fun image and papers! You did a terrific job with the paper piecing!

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fun and funky card, Cheryl! Love the whole retro vibe. That digi image just makes me smile. Love your coloring and paper piecing.

Heather Rogers said...

Very cute and Sassy! :)

Hugs~

Jessica G. said...

Groovy card! Beautiful coloring and perfect paper piecing really showcase this image!!

Conniecrafter said...

very cool :) you had the perfect paper for paper piecing the image!

Theresa said...

You totally rocked this sketch. Wow what great DPs you chose for this beauty. I love it!!


Thanks for the blog award. You are so sweet.

Angela said...

Eve is groovy indeed! You've made a great card with this image...well done!

Marie said...

Holy retro, Cheryl. You really caught the feeling of the 70's on the sassy chick. Great job using paper piecing with that digi. I'm not brave enough to try that, yet.

Melissa Craig said...

She really is a hippie chick! You really did a fab job on coloring her. I have these papers, too, they are totally perfect.

Joan Ervin said...

What a fabulous retro design, Cheryl!!! The image is adorable and I love the papers and colors you used!!!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fun card Cheryl! Reminds me of High School!

Shelby said...

Fantastic boho hippie card! Love all the colors together and love the paper piecing.

Shelby

Maria said...

Oh, what a groooovy card, Cheryl! So fun and colorful...love it! Thanks for the Liebster award! Having some issues with computer lately. I hope son repairs the problems this weekend. So, I'll post the award and follow up with it soon. Thanks again, take care!!:-))