TMS #172: Frosty Fun

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hi Friends! First of all, don't forget that Tuesday Morning Sketches is having a DT Call until the end of this month. If you are interested in joining one of the best teams out there, this is the one for you! You can find all the details here.

Now, for this week, we have our Judged Challenge at Tuesday Morning Sketches. As always, the judged challenge has a twist, and this week's twist is a fun one: Create an animal with punches or use Tear Bear patterns. Don't know what a Tear Bear pattern is? You can check it our at our sponsor's website: The Beary Scrap. And, if you want some ideas for animals created with punches, here's a link to lots of Pinterest boards that are full of some really creative and easy ideas.

The sketch is fairly basic, so you have lots of options to dress it up or down. For my card, I turned it vertically.
I whipped out my Dylusions Ink Sprays to make a wintry looking background, then stamped a few glittery snowflakes and some swirly gusts of wind on it. The edges are sponged with Salty Ocean Distress Ink. I embossed just the bottom of the background, then sewed it to a piece of light blue cs. The blue strip that separates the embossed bg from the stamped bg is the same light blue cs, embossed and sponged with more Distress Ink. I don't have a snowflake die, so I chose one that looked a little bit snowflake-ish and covered it with white, blue, and silver glitter and Mod Podge, also adding Stickles for more sparkle. After I had finished the card, I realized that I probably should have used another die and cut out the center of the white die cut rather than leaving it solid, but too late for that now. :)


I'll admit, when I saw that I was going to have to make an animal out of punches, I just about panicked. :) First of all, I don't do very many "cute" cards, and also, I don't have a lot of punches that aren't for edges.   I didn't think I could come up with much with a few circle and oval punches, but turns out it's way easier than you would think. For my penguin, I just punched a 2" black circle, a 1.5" white one, and two .75" black ones. For the little wings, after cutting the 2 smallest circles, I put them back in the punch and chomped off part of one side. For the feet, I punched an oval, then used a scalloped circle to punch off each end, leaving me with what I hoped looked like feet. They almost look like little ducks sitting there, don't they? Well, not only do they look a little funky, once I got them glued on, I realized that I had ink on my fingers from the sprays, and a little bit got on the feet, as well as the white die cut. I'm not one to start over, though. I'd rather figure out a way to work around my mistakes. That's why there is a layer of Liquid Pearls on the feet, and also why there are a bunch of squiggles on the white die cut. I used my white gel pen to cover the ink spots, but it didn't look so hot, so I figured, what the heck, and just went crazy with the pen until I covered the whole thing. Turns out, I really liked it when I was done. The beak is just a little snippet off a Gerber Daisy punch with Stickles on it. For the "pole," I covered some white cs in strips of Washi tape, then punched out a word tag. The snow is from a Snow Marker, and I made the eyes with Opaque Pearl Pen, let it dry, then added tiny black dots with Enamel Accents.

Here's a close up of the embossing. Have you seen the new Cuttlebug embossing folders that have a slit in the hinge so you can let your cs stick out? You can do continuous embossing with them. I didn't need that here, but I can see where it will come in handy some day.
For the inside sentiment, I used my transparency rub-on technique, creating the sentiment in Word using a font called AR Hermann. I colored in the o's with a fuchsia-colored Copic, than added Stickles to them.

I hope you'll join us this week for this fun Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge. You can check out the rest of the Design Team for more punchy inspiration, then link up your creation so we can be inspired by you, too!

Oh, and don't forget about the TMS DT Call! :)

Thanks for stopping by, and have a crafty week!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Sparkle & Cheer (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Solid cs
Ink: Memento; Distress Ink; Dylusions Ink Sprays; Colorbox; white gel pen; Snow Marker (Marvy)
Dies: Ironwork Motif, A2 Matting Basics A & B, Labels Three, Scalloped Classic Rectangles Lg (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Punches: Oval, Circles (.75", 1.5", 2"), Scalloped Circle, Gerber Daisy (EK Success); Word Tag (McGill); Snowflakes embossing folder, Decorative Tile Set embossing folder (Cuttlebug); Dots, Circles, & Stars embossing folder (Sizzix); ribbon; Sparkle embossing powder (Recollections); Mod Podge; Washi Tape; sewing thread; glitter (Martha Stewart); Stickles; Liquid Pearls; Enamel Accents; Pearl Pen
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

12 comments :

Barbara A. said...

Love the background and the cute little penguin! Cute!

Carla S. said...

Very cute and creative, Cheryl! Love the frosty background and the adorable punched penguin!

Laura said...

That background is so pretty! My 4 year old son saw your card on the computer (he LOVES penguins!) and asked if this was for him! Ha! Guess I'll be CASEing this one! ;)

Debbie said...

This card is awesome, Cheryl!! I love your penguin! It's always nice when mistakes turn into something great!!

Maria said...

Awww...sweet frosty fun! Love that darling penguin and gorgeous background! Super CUTE card...love it!

Jessi Fogan said...

So glad I'm not the only one who panicked ;) lol! I love that AMAZING background, and how great are the Dylusions inks? Their coverage is spectacular. Now that I've tried them I need every colour :) Awesome save on the feet (the feet had me stumped too!) and they're perfect with that bit of shine!

Dawn said...

Such a darling penguin Cheryl! The dp you made is gorgeous too! So pretty!

Notes by Nina said...

Very pretty card, I love the background and your little penguin is very sweet.

Conniecrafter said...

very creative uses with your punches, love the icy, wintry feel to the background, very cute and neat inside too!

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a darling card Cheryl! Love the beautiful background and sweet penguin! Thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa Craig said...

Such a cute penguin - he's so round and so cute! I love the spray stuff, it gives it a whispy feel.

Heather Rogers said...

This is too cute! Love the attention to detail. :)

For some reason you are not coming across in my dashboard. I am and have been a follower for ever. Not sure what is going on. :(