TMS#167: Girl on Fire!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hi Friends! I'm so glad it's Tuesday! And, especially that it's this particular Tuesday. Because, not only is it the day we have another sketch for Tuesday Morning Sketches, but our sponsor this week is Sassy Studio Designs, and I LOVE all their digital images! The digi stamp I chose to use for today was so much fun to work with! Just from the title of my post and the teaser photo here, you probably already know who it is, don't you? ;)

That's right, Hunger Games fans...it's Katniss, the Girl on Fire!!! I loved the trilogy, and the movie was fantastic! They're filming the second movie right here in Atlanta. I would so love to be able to be part of that. Anybody got any strings you could pull for me? Could the odds be "eva in my fava?" I fetch a mean cup of coffee. :)

But, I digress. Let me get back to the card. If you've read the books or seen the movie you know about the "girl on fire" scene. Well, for those of you who don't, Katniss has a dress that is rigged up so that when she twirls, it appears that the bottom of it is in flames--a very cool scene, which I tried to capture on the image by coloring the dress red, then adding orange and yellow over the bottom ruffles and outlining them in those colors, too. I used the out-of-the-box technique to die cut the circle and fussy cut the bottom of the dress and top of her head. I was really pleased with how my coloring turned out on this image. I have been practically drooling over the amazing coloring that Shelby and Carla do on their images, and learning to color folds is something I've been working on for awhile. I think I did okay on this one. It literally took me about four hours to get this fiery beauty colored to my satisfaction! I added Stickles to the image a few days after making the card. I was afraid it would completely mess up all my coloring, but since it's supposed to look like fire, I like how it turned out.

Here's what it looked like before Stickles. What do you think--better with or without the glitter???



You probably noticed that there is a bow on the Tuesday Morning Sketch this week. Well, Katniss is definitely NOT a girly-girl, so I left it off, and instead I offset the image layer and put a graduated line of red rhinestones along the left side of it. That's a little more in line with her kick-butt personality! :)

Here's a close up of her "makeup." I added Glossy Accents to her lips. And, as in the movie, Katniss has rhinestones along her shoulder and back, as well as lots of sparkle on her face. For purists, I think the rhinestones were on the other shoulder. ;)

I continued the "fire" theme on the inside of the card, sponging inside the die with several colors of Distress Ink, then I created the sentiment in Word, using a font called "Cheap Fire." I used a rim of red Stickles around the entire circle die cut. IRL they are a very bright, vivid red, but I just couldn't get the color to show up right in the photo. 

At the first AR (Accelerated Reader) party of the year at my DD's school, she surprised everybody (including me) by having more AR points that anyone in the school! She has done that for the past two years, but this year she is competing against 4th and 5th grade students (she's in 3rd), so we knew it would be tough. She's working hard to keep her lead, and I plan to give this card to her after the next AR party. She doesn't know much about Hunger Games, but she IS a girly-girl, and she will love the beautiful girl on the card, and her fancy dress. :)

Okay, now, the info on the challenge this week. Every month TMS has a judged challenge, which includes a sketch with a twist. So, the twist this week is: The Letter "E." It can be anything--elephant, embossing, Echo Park papers, etc. For my card, I have embossed edges on my die cuts, and I used the "Earth" Copic markers for Katniss' hair. And, I know it's stretching it a bit, but I also give myself an "E for Effort" for my coloring this week! ;D What's your "E" going to be? Can't wait to find out!

So, head on over to the Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge blog and check out the rest of the projects by our awesome DT, as well as our new Best of the Best Guest Designer, Alison. By the time you've done that, you'll be "E"nergized to create your own fab work of art. And, remember the winner gets a prize from Sassy Studio Designs! How awesome is that!!!

Thanks for stopping by today, and have a spectacular week!

I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges:

 
Stamps: Katniss Girl of Fire Sassy (Sassy Studio Designs)
Paper: Forever Fall (Bo Bunny); Shimmer Stack (DCWV)
Ink: Copic markers; Distress Ink
Dies: Std Circles Sm, Peony Nestabilities, Classic Scalloped Circles Lg (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Rhinestones; Stickles; Glossy Accents
Size: 4-1/8" dia. circle
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

15 comments :

Carla S. said...

Fabulous card, Cheryl! Amazing design and outstanding coloring! Love the sparkle you added! Thanks for the shout out, but I'm embarassed to have my name mentioned in the same sentence as Shelby, the queen of coloring!

Angela said...

So pretty! I LOVE all the glitter!

Jessi Fogan said...

Ah! I have another E for you - Katniss EVERDEEN :) Ta-da!
I absolutely adore this - worth every minute you spent on it! The stickles are definitely a plus - the light reflecting adds to the whole on-fire look. LOVE IT :)

Penny said...

I am so glad you entered this card into Stamptacular Sunday! That way I got to enjoy seeing it. You did a fab job of coloring, love the fussy cut circle, love the Stickles, (yes, definitely for this image!), love your papers, and scalloped design! This is just a fantastic card, and I so appreciate the effort that went into it! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Stamptacular Sunday. Hope to see you again next week!
Hugs, Penny

Jessica said...

Beautiful!! Love the glitter on the dress and around the eyes of the girl!
I also LOVE the hungergames triologi!! I´m almost ready with the first book and i don´t want it to ever end!

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful card with us over at the Stamptacular sunday challenges, i would love to see what you come uo with for our next challenge!
Hugs Jessica

Theresa said...

Hi Cheryl, what a beautiful card. I love the image and what you did with all the glitter. Simply beautiful.

Your b-day card arrived yesterday and I just love it. So beautiful!!

Pauline said...

Stunning card Cheryl! Gorgeous colouring on that fabulous image, and I love the glitter on her fiery dress!
Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week!

Vee said...

Wow!! What a fabulous card, I love the design and all the bling. Thanks for playing with Charisma this week.
xx Vee

Purple mad Alison said...

Wow Cheryl, that is amazing, your colouring is fantastic and I love the stickles, they set it off perfectly-BRILLIANT!!
Thanks for joining us over on Fat Pages With Attitude.
Hugs Alison x x

Vanessa (aka V'ness, Nessa, oldschool) said...

love it!
Thanks for joining us at Charisma!!!

Dawn said...

Stunning Cheryl! Love the image with the glitter. Can't wait for the next movie too!

Maria said...

Wow! Absolutely fabulous, Cheryl! The perfectly colored image with glitter is so striking! She is so gorgeous!

Debbie said...

I love all the layers you added! I think it is better with the stickles!

Sue Lelli said...

Oh MY, Cheryl! I, too, LOVE those books and I LOVE it beter with the sparkles! LOVE her makeup you added and just how it all shines!

Melissa Craig said...

I LOVE this card. When you showed it to me before the glitter I could see why it took 3 hours to color. Then you added the glitter and you really made her shine! She really looks like she's on fire, fabulous job!! No makeup artist could make the actress look that good.