TMS #149: There Is No Try

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hi Friends! I hope you had a good weekend. My DD and I were able to visit one of my oldest (in time, not age ;) ), and dearest friends, who lives in Midland, Texas, this past weekend, so it was a very special time for me. I haven't seen Carolyn in about ten years. So much changes in even a short time! She had never met my DD, and we got to meet her entire sweet family, including all five of her grandchildren! I think my DD has made a lifelong friend of one of them. They were inseparable, and I have never heard my DD laugh so much as these past four days! She talked and giggled so much, she came home hoarse! :) I should probably be hoarse, too, because Carolyn and I stayed up late every night catching up on the years, talking and giggling, ourselves. :D  Carolyn, get ready...we'll be back soon!

But, on to business. It's time for the newest Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge, and Melissa has given us a great sketch to work with this week. Also, Bugaboo Digi Stamps is our fab sponsor and they sent me an adorably funny digi stamp, called Stella Calendar Months-September, that is perfect for all the graduations going on right now.


Here's what I did with it:
Don't you just love that book dp? Reminds me of my own little personal library. Hmmm... maybe I should photograph my library shelves, do some creative editing in my photo program and make my own personal dp? I think I will! I'll post the result when I'm done.

In the meantime, for this card, I colored Stella with Copics, giving her a polka dot shirt and plaid skirt. I drew the tray under the chalkboard and added the stick figure "chalk" drawing on the chalkboard with a white gel pen. Stella is, of course, wearing patent leather pumps, so I used Glossy Accents on them, as well as her glasses. I couldn't resist adding blue eye shadow and bright red lipstick. This image SO reminds me of my second grade teacher!

I made the Class of 2012 sentiment in Word. It was easy to do. I made a text box with the words in it, filled the box with my color and change the text to white. I made sure the box was large enough to be able to use my desired die to cut it out. I added Stickles to the text, which looks great in person, but it didn't photograph so well.

The button was originally lime green, but I used a Copic to color and add a textured look to it.

This card is for a friend's son, for his high school graduation, and I wanted a light-hearted message inside. The Stella image comes with a fantastic sentiment, but it didn't really work in this situation, so I searched the internet until I came up with the perfect one--a quote from the ever-wise Yoda. It took me a couple of reads to understand it, but once I did, I knew this was the one. I sponged Distress Ink inside the die, and while the die was still in place, added the black faux stitching. Then, I printed the sentiment onto a transparency to make my own rub-on. This was a super fun card to make!

So, are you all revved up to join us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches? Well, get your bad self over there, check out the rest of the DT cards and visit their blogs for some spectacular inspiration, then get busy! You've got until Sunday at 8 PM to link up.

Also, Melissa is having her first ever DT call, so you'll want to check the deets out on that, too. The DT call deadline is June 9, so you still have a few days, if you are interested in applying for the team!!!

I'll be entering this card in the following challenge:
Simon Says Stamp: Anything Goes

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope this week holds something wonderful for you!

~Hugs,
 
Stamps: Stella Calendar Months-September (Bugaboo Digi Stamps)
Paper: Tea for Two (Cosmo Cricket); Oxford (Basic Grey)
Ink: Distress Ink; Copic markers; white gel pen; black Micron pen
Dies: Curved Rectangles, Labels 13 (Spellbinders)
Accessories: Postage Stamp edge punch (EK Success); waxed linen thread; button; eyelets; Glossy Accents; Stickles; foam dots
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

14 comments :

Carla S. said...

Fun card, Cheryl! Love the DP and cute image! Great design! Glad you had a nice visit with your friend!

Theresa said...

Fabulous card - I love all the details that you added. That lipstick and blue eye shadow is the best!! Awesome coloring and definitely love that DP.

Marie said...

What a fun lovin card, Cheryl. Love how you 'gussied' her up. Great bg paper, can't wait to see your version.

Kathy said...

LOL, Cheryl, that is my favorite quote of all time! I LOVE Yoda. Perfect for a graduation card. Stella looks fabulous. Her polka dot and plaid combo and patent pumps are great. Such fun dsp, too.

Bernie said...

What a fun card Cheryl! LOVE the blue eye shadow and red lipstick! Fabulous coloring and DP! Your library is amazing!
Hugs

Heather Rogers said...

Too cute! Love the twine and button. :)

Hugs~

Angela said...

LOL This is too cute, Cheryl...love her fun outfit and of course, the lipstick!

Audrey Pettit said...

Too, too cute Cheryl! Stella is cracking me up! She is one sassy lady. :) Your card is fabulous! And I'm so glad you got to spend time with your friend!

Dawn said...

Adorable Cheryl! Love the drawing on the chalkboard. Happy graduation to you son too!

Melissa Craig said...

Love the card! So cute and love Yoda's word of wisdom.

Glad to hear your trip was an enjoyable one.

Shelby said...

Love that sentiment and the interpretation of the sketch is awesome.

Shelby

Pauline said...

This is brilliant, I love that fab image, and the paper is perfect! Fab card for a graduation!

Maria said...

Fun fun card, Cheryl! Love the paper and how you made up the sweet little lady...hehehe! A great graduation card! Love it! Have a wonderful weekend, take care!

Conniecrafter said...

Great image and your coloring and details are terrific, that paper is so cool too, neat sentiment!