Kaleidoscope Father's Day

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hi Friends! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend! I have a quick Father's Day card to share with you today. Flourishes is having a Gimme Ten (minute)! challenge, and even though I usually take hours to make a card, I thought I'd give it a try. And, I used this week's Play Date Cafe Color Challenge for my color palette:

I mentioned, in my last post, that I wanted to take a photo of my home library and try to come up with my own personal designer paper. I had already made almost a dozen versions of the photo, using different effects to make the photo more abstract. But, my library is mostly dark cherry wood, and most of the books in the photo I wanted to use are leather-bound in rich reds, browns, and blacks--no where near copasetic for the color challenge--so I used my photo program to make a few more changes.

I used the tiled and kaleidoscope version of the photo, and simply adjusted the colors until they fit the color challenge. Easy peasy! Now, thinking about the design of this card took a long time, but finally putting it together was a snap. I printed the kaleidoscope design to the size I needed, cut it out, punched the corners, inked the edges a little, then heat embossed the sentiment. Then, I glued everything together. Metal accents are glued to each corner.

Finally, I added Stickles to the design. Even close up, you can't tell that this design was originally a photo of a library. I love the kaleidoscope effect feature in my photo program!

On the inside, I thought about adding some kind of sentiment, but decided to just stamp a light motif as a background. I'll add a personal sentiment before I give it to my husband.

And, that's it--quick and easy! Well, quick, after I figured out what I wanted to do. ;)

I'll be entering this card in the following challenges:

Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope the rest of your weekend is fabulous!

~Hugs!
 
Stamps: A Guiding Light (Flourishes); Motif (Inkadinkadoo)
Paper: My Library in Kaleidoscope Digi Paper (Personal)
Ink: Distress Ink; Clear embossing ink
Accessories: Morocco Lace Edger (EK Success); white embossing powder; metal accents (K&Co); Stickles; Distress Stickles; sewing thread
Size: A2 (5.5" x 4.25")
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

16 comments :

downrightcrafty said...

What a gorgeous masculine card, just perfect for our Father's Day Challenge this week at the Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge, thank you for joining us
Hugs Kate xx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is so cool, I love the crackle look it has too, great colors and great idea with the corner punch, goes with it so well, and of course the added sparkle is great touch!

Stacy Morgan said...

That is super cool! There is lots of color detail to this when you really just look at it, wonderful card. Thanks for playing in Flourishes gimme 10 challenge.

Maria said...

Wow! This card is so mesmerizing...love it! Beautiful color an design. Love the sparkles and corner accents you added, too! A great masculine card for your husband! Take care, hugs!

Carole said...

I agree with Maria...the card is mesmerizing, and so very pretty.

Bernie said...

WOW Cheryl, this is knock your socks off GORGEOUS! Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous inside and out!
Hugs

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the ornamental feel that you got with the kaleidoscope effect. With the PDCC color scheme, it looks like something you'd see in a Mission. Blessings!.

Stacy said...

WOW!!!! What an amazing card, thanks for joining us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Denise said...

What a neat technique... thanks so much for sharing your originality with us in the Cafe. So glad you joined us!

Patti P. said...

Cheryl, this is so creative and stunning. Love the colors and the mosaic effect with your technique, now I need to read your previous post!
Thanks for sharing at Sugar Creek Hollow.
Patti SCH/DT

Franz♥ said...

Wonderful job, really original!

Thanks for joining us at Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge this week.

Hugs, Franz.

Mynn xx said...

OH WOW!!! This really is a work of art! LOVE the mosaic you've created with the amazing glitter details! :)

Shelby said...

Wow wow and then some more wow! This is so cool. Beautiful work

Shelby

Pauline said...

Simply gorgeous! I love this, it's like a piece of art - it IS a piece of art! Beautiful!

Heather said...

Fabulous Paper that you created! Your card turned out fabby!! Thank you for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
Hugs
Heather

Julie Koerber said...

What an incredibly cool technique! I love the earthy elegance it created! What fun! Thanks for playing with us over at Flourishes!