Pamphlet Stitch Book

Thursday, September 25, 2014


I love making cards. I enjoy stamping (both physical stamping and digi stamping), coloring, choosing all the fun papers and a cool layout--all the way down to sending the finished card to someone. But truth be told, a simple piece of paper is all I need to be a happy crafter! I'm a very tactile person! :) Even my love of reading and writing originally began because I loved how the paper felt in my hands. There is just something about the look, feel, and even the smell of paper that grabs me. So, when I visited my friend, Deborah, a couple of weeks ago and she gifted me with a stack of gorgeous handmade papers, I knew right away what to do, and in a few days, my sweet friend will have this handmade book in her hands!
I covered framer's mat board with the handmade papers for the covers, which measure 4.5" x 6". The pages inside (24 lb. colored paper) measure 4.25" x 5.5" (A2 size). I don't know exactly what is in the handmade paper, but it feels heavenly. Can you see the texture in the photo? It looks a little like a soft flocked fabric, and has a similar feel (perhaps it's mulberry paper?). 


I assembled the book using a pamphlet stitch. Unlike a coptic stitch book, a pamphlet stitch cannot be used to create more than a one-signature book--a pamphlet, but by stitching each pamphlet to an accordian spine, I was able to put seven "pamphlets" together into one book. It is stitched together with waxed pearl cotton, and I used satin ribbons to hold everything together. An exposed spine is the only way to go with a book like this!
Here's a look at the accordion spine from the top. Each of the seven signatures (pamphlets) is made up of four folded sheets, which makes a 112-page book.


When the book is opened, you can see a section of the spine between each of the signatures. Notice that the book opens completely flat. I love that about this style.

The pamphlet stitch creates a knot in the center of each signature (pamphlet). I like to have the knot on the inside and leave the tails long. I think it adds to the handmade look in a beautiful way.

Thank you, again, Deborah, for such a wonderful weekend, and for the beautiful papers! 

And, thank you to everyone who stops by my blog, and especially to those of you who leave sweet, encouraging comments. I appreciate each and every one of them! 

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create Challenge #90: Anything Goes
Paper Issues: Anything Goes with Whisker Graphics

~Hugs,
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

5 comments :

Jenny Gropp said...

Beautiful work, Cheryl!

Conniecrafter said...

very pretty, she will be thrilled to have this and see what you have done with it!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A lovely handmade book Cheryl, thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create.
Lorraine DT

Chana Malkah said...

Great book, Cheryl! We will have to make you an honorary 613 resident. We are paper lovers over here. In a couple of months, we should have a surprise for people like you (and me, and Kathy) who just love paper. Stay tuned.

I just started making my own paper (practice runs) it is really cool.

Thanks for sharing this lovely book with us. We love your visits to our neighborhood.
Hugz,
Chana, Owner
613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, that's so beautiful, Cheryl! I wonder if I still have my handmade paper? I had a whole box of it. I'm just like you -- love the feel and the smell of paper, including books. I've always been an avid reader. Your friend will be delighted with this beautiful and thoughtful gift!