A Better World

Friday, February 14, 2014

Well, it looks like our snow is going to be gone within the next couple of days. My DD is devastated. I am thrilled! Maybe when I was her age, I wanted snow, but I sure can't remember ever feeling that way. While she and her dad were outside in the snow, I had time to make another card.

MFTWSC163

I used this week's My Favorite Things Wednesday Stamp Club sketch for this one, and as I usually do, for some reason, I turned it on it's side.
I kept this one pretty simple. The globe on the bg was part of the dp, and I added the MFT sentiment in Olive Grove ink. The chevron layer was cut with a Spellbinders die, the strip that has a map on it is a piece of paper tape (not Washi tape) that I've had forever--probably 10 years before I started stamping. I have no idea why I bought it, and I hardly ever use it now, but it worked well here, I thought. Over the striped ribbon, I put a rolled felt flower and leaves, as well as a red flourish, all made with MFT dies. I finally bought a melting pot the other day and needed to make sure it worked, so I heated it up and dipped the red flourish in the melted UTEE to get a glossy look. I can already see that I'm going to use my melting pot often. :) 
On the inside, I sponged Crushed Olive Distress Ink, then used a Tim Holtz thank you stamp. The map image is the Antique Map background stamp from Flourishes. I had to use it since it literally just arrived from halfway around the world! Yep, you read that right--I ordered the stamp from a shop in Singapore! It took about 3 weeks to arrive and cost me almost twice what it would have at Flourishes, but I waited too long to get it directly from Flourishes, and by then it was sold out, and the ONLY place I could find it was a store in Singapore called Maple Treehouse. I was a little concerned about buying something from so far away, but it turns out the store is a good one, and the shipping was reasonable, too. Moral of that story: don't wait! ;)

Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:
MFT Wednesday Stamp Club #163
Simon Says Monday Challenge: We Love Stamps

~Hugs to ya,
 
Supplies:

Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

4 comments :

Conniecrafter said...

Cool layering of the strips, love that flourish using the utee, looks terrific, glad you were able to find your stamp, even though you had to wait patiently for it ;)

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Wow! This card is amazing! I really love how you turned the sketch on its side and I think the results are stunning. That layered look you achieved with the ribbon and that flourish is such an unexpected touch. The paper is antique-looking and lovely and the sentiment is perfect. I really thought this was clever and elegant and I'm so glad that you shared your talents with us this week here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, I love the felt flower and the way you flipped the design! It turned out great! The fish tails and flourish are a fabulous addition to the design, and I really love the big sentiment.

Shirley said...

Wonderful flower, great colors, and I really like how you layered your papers too! Great inside and out, Cheryl!