Timeless Tuesday #246: "Pick a Sketch"

Tuesday, November 12, 2013


Hello, and welcome to this week's Timeless Tuesday Challenge! I think you're going to like this one a lot!

I enjoy all kinds of card challenges--color, sketch, photo inspiration, theme, tic tac toe...I haven't found a challenge yet that I didn't want to try. ;-) But, my favorite challenge is a sketch challenge. That gets my mojo going like no other challenge can. I don't always stick to the sketch literally, because changing things up is part of my creative process, but it is always fun to see where I end up. 
Well, Joy!, Joy!, the crazy-talented Allison, has challenged us with a sketch this week! And, not only has she given us a sketch, she designed two different sketches, and you get to choose which one you want to work with! Thank you, Allison! :D I went with the rectangular sketch on the right. 
I not only had the sketch challenge for this week's card, I also had a personal challenge, given to me by a friend. I have been making her wedding anniversary card for the past couple of years, and they are always interesting because she likes to incorporate the traditional and modern wedding anniversary gift ideas into them. (Here are her 9th and 10th anniversary cards.) The gifts for an 11th anniversary are steel and fashion jewelry. Now, actually finding a steel or fashion jewelry gift for a husband doesn't seem too difficult, but I had to really think about how I was going to include both those things on an anniversary card, and keep it masculine.  
My friend's husband is a fisherman, so for my focal point, I used this beautiful image from the In Nature stamp set, stamping it on Flourishes Classic White Cardstock in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink, and matting it with Flourishes Classic Black Cardstock. And, I've been wanting to try my hand at monochromatic coloring in sepia tones, which seem perfect for a masculine card, so I limited myself to only one of Flourishes' Copic Sketch Collections:

For the steel portion of my card, I covered a piece of scrap cardstock with aluminum HVAC tape, then dry embossed it with a diamond plate embossing folder. I "tarnished" it with Mustard Seed Distress Ink so it would blend better with the sepia image. For the vertical strip in the sketch, I used burlap ribbon, and for the fashion jewelry, I considered using a fancy fishing lure, but kept envisioning a terrible anniversary accident when he opened his card, so instead, I die cut a "leather" belt and buckle from Flourishes Classic Kraft Cardstock, sponged Gathered Twigs Distress Ink over the belt portion, embossed it with a Tiny Bubbles embossing folder, then heat embossed it a couple of times with clear embossing powder. For the buckle, I sponged Mustard Seed Distress Ink over the die cut, then heat embossed it with clear EP several times. The backdrop for all this was a piece of dp, which I dressed up with some zigzag stitching.
On the inside, I die cut a curved border on white cs and stamped the Happy Anniversary sentiment from Floruishes Inside & Out Happy stamp set. On the bottom, I used the same dp as on the front of the card, stitched around the edges, and created the ""steel" the one" sentiment in Word, making a rub on with a transparency. I was pleased with the finished card, and even better, my friend loved it!

So, do you like sketches as much as I do? Which one is your fav? I hope you'll choose one and play along! It's always fun to see all the different takes on a sketch challenge, and you might just win a prize, too! You can find all the details for the challenge here.

You'll definitely want to see how the rest of the DT interpreted this week's challenge! And, be sure to show them a little blog love with a comment, too! :)
~Hugs,

Supplies:

Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

21 comments :

Karen W said...

Wonderful masculine card, I love the colors!

Connie MacFarlane said...

Your card is absolutely fabulous Cheryl, your friend is very lucky. Great texture and interest on this wonderful masculine card, from the embossed 'steel' background to the shiny buckle and burlap. (great 9th & 10th cards as well).

Jingle said...

This is very pretty! That belt accent is really neat! Thanks so much for joining in the fun over at the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

Jessica said...

I agree with the above post. I am VERY lucky! Perfect card for my hubby! You always know how to design the perfect card for the person/situation! Beautiful as always!

Allison Cope said...

Oh goodness me Cheryl! What an AMAZING masculine card. I can total see your inspiration from the steel and the fashion jewelry! I love the embossing over the HVAC tape (so manly! ;) ) and I love the whole tone of your card. Fabulous take on the sketch! Love all that texture too!

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is such an awesome male creation. Love everything about it.Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Challenges 4 Everybody.

Hugs
Cathy DT Member
xxxxxx

Michelle said...

Very Pretty, Cheryl! The colors are fabulous together and that belt buckle is AWESOME! Thanks for joining us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. ~Michelle

Judy Rozema said...

AMAZING JOB! Love the sepia tones in this and your steel/jewelry inspiration is just fabulous! Wow!

TLady said...

WHAT A NICE MASCULINE CARD!!!!!!!!!:) LOVE ALL THE TOUCHES YOU'VE DONE!!!!!!!:)

Sue Lelli said...

OMGosh! LOVE the buckle and the belt and metal on this masculine card! Just wonderful, cheryl!

Barbara said...

I love the outside of your card, but the inside is genius.

Maria said...

This masculine card is absolutely amazing inside and out! Love the peaceful outdoor image and fabulous buckle! Super clever sentiment inside, too!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Cheryl, I bet your friend was totally thrilled with this card, love the sepia feel to the image, and you did such amazing work with the metal looks in the embellishing and framing, great texture with the burlap too, Awesome masculine card!!!

Debbie said...

Fantastic male card!! I love the embossed plate and belt! Good choice! (I had to laugh at the thought of a fishing accident with an anniversary card!)

Unknown said...

I'm loving this! The rustic, masculine feel of the stamping. The texture of the belt-like embellishment. Fabulous job! Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Create. Amy A., DT

Helene said...

I love your card ! I love the neutral colors.

Chana Malkah said...

This is stunning work! The designs are clean, well composed, balanced and well executed! So pretty to look at! The addition of the belt is a fabulous design element. I know I will have to CASE this! It was a joy to find this beauty leaning against our front door here at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana, Owner

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a fabulous masculine card, Cheryl. I love the beautiful colors and great textures. :)

Leslie Miller said...

This is amazing! I love this scene more in the monotone than any colored version I've seen, and the card you designed to showcase it is outstanding. Perfect for both the sketch and the challenge your friend gave you!

Unknown said...

Oooooh that is one cool card....loving that 'belt and buckle' VERY creative! TFS!!!

Katie Sims said...

Good gracious, Cheryl....you blew this one outta the water....lol! Your coloring is beyond gorgeous....LOVE the sepia tones.....You da Girl! Gorgeous card!! :)